Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I was in a car accident yesterday and now I cant move my right

I was in a car accident yesterday and now I can't move my right leg but I'm not in any pain what does that means

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Well you need to have this problem right away!!
Anthony Bray MD : Did you injure your back with the accident??
Anthony Bray MD : spinal cord compression might cause this...
Anthony Bray MD : can you move your feet or toes at all??
Anthony Bray MD : if partial movement then this would give clue as to the structures affected....

Well I can walk

Anthony Bray MD : ok - if you can walk then you have some use and strength of the affected leg...
Anthony Bray MD : What sort of movement is impaired??

I can walk but there is a limp in the leg and I can't

Anthony Bray MD : i think that you need a thorough exam complimented by other tests as may be suggested helpful by the physical exam--- possibly MRI of the lower spine and possibly neck as well...

Really move my arm that well

Anthony Bray MD : do you have pain with certain movements -- if your movement is limited by pain then this may mean more of a muscular or softy tissue injury.....
Anthony Bray MD : so both the arm and leg affected on same side?
Anthony Bray MD : do they feel weak? Any pain with moving?
Anthony Bray MD : Can you describe the accident -- where were you--? Seatbelt-- how accident happened--- how fast?? These may offer clues...

Yes I have pain in certain movements and its only the right side

Anthony Bray MD : Well if loss of strength or function is great > 50% then I would go to ER to be checked.... If less severe and stable( not getting worse over hours and days then see your doctor for evaluation at least by Monday....

Ok n this happened to my girlfriend not me

I was in the intersection on a yellow light and a car came slaming on the passenger side

Anthony Bray MD : Ok ---- would advise rest and Aleve 1 to 2 tablets twice a day with food... If severe weakness then have her go to ER --- if mild weakness and moderate pain it would seem ok to wait and have her see her doctor tomorrow ....

Ok but what do you think the problem might be

Anthony Bray MD : Ok the accident could be associated with neck injury as one possibility--- how fast would you estimate???

N its not internal bleeding right and there is no neck injury

Anthony Bray MD : it may be pricy for her to start with ER today as a neck injury such as whiplash sound probable BUT a more serious injury of the cervical spine could be present and if this should be the case then diagnosis soon of the problem is imperative -- neck fracture would be a worse case scenario But I would advise that this is ruled out...

So it is important for her to see the er

Anthony Bray MD : I think that injury and inflammation of nerve roots is possible.... I can' say that she might not have injury affecting her spinal cord as a possibility...
Anthony Bray MD : i think ER now would be safer -- yes... I hope this ends up being overkill BUT it could be extremely bad to delay diagnosis if she should have a neck injury that has caused spinal cord compression....
Anthony Bray MD : A ruptured disk or the neck or neck fracture would be possible. An MVA is a high energy accident which has significant potential for injury to the body...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Ok thanks bye