Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I was in a car accident yesterday and now I cant move my right

I was in a car accident yesterday and now I can't move my right leg but I'm not in any pain what does that means
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Well you need to have this problem right away!!
Anthony Bray MD : Did you injure your back with the accident??
Anthony Bray MD : spinal cord compression might cause this...
Anthony Bray MD : can you move your feet or toes at all??
Anthony Bray MD : if partial movement then this would give clue as to the structures affected....
Customer:

Well I can walk

Anthony Bray MD : ok - if you can walk then you have some use and strength of the affected leg...
Anthony Bray MD : What sort of movement is impaired??
Customer:

I can walk but there is a limp in the leg and I can't

Anthony Bray MD : i think that you need a thorough exam complimented by other tests as may be suggested helpful by the physical exam--- possibly MRI of the lower spine and possibly neck as well...
Customer:

Really move my arm that well

Anthony Bray MD : do you have pain with certain movements -- if your movement is limited by pain then this may mean more of a muscular or softy tissue injury.....
Anthony Bray MD : so both the arm and leg affected on same side?
Anthony Bray MD : do they feel weak? Any pain with moving?
Anthony Bray MD : Can you describe the accident -- where were you--? Seatbelt-- how accident happened--- how fast?? These may offer clues...
Customer:

Yes I have pain in certain movements and its only the right side

Anthony Bray MD : Well if loss of strength or function is great > 50% then I would go to ER to be checked.... If less severe and stable( not getting worse over hours and days then see your doctor for evaluation at least by Monday....
Customer:

Ok n this happened to my girlfriend not me

Customer:

I was in the intersection on a yellow light and a car came slaming on the passenger side

Anthony Bray MD : Ok ---- would advise rest and Aleve 1 to 2 tablets twice a day with food... If severe weakness then have her go to ER --- if mild weakness and moderate pain it would seem ok to wait and have her see her doctor tomorrow ....
Customer:

Ok but what do you think the problem might be

Anthony Bray MD : Ok the accident could be associated with neck injury as one possibility--- how fast would you estimate???
Customer:

N its not internal bleeding right and there is no neck injury

Anthony Bray MD : it may be pricy for her to start with ER today as a neck injury such as whiplash sound probable BUT a more serious injury of the cervical spine could be present and if this should be the case then diagnosis soon of the problem is imperative -- neck fracture would be a worse case scenario But I would advise that this is ruled out...
Customer:

So it is important for her to see the er

Anthony Bray MD : I think that injury and inflammation of nerve roots is possible.... I can' say that she might not have injury affecting her spinal cord as a possibility...
Anthony Bray MD : i think ER now would be safer -- yes... I hope this ends up being overkill BUT it could be extremely bad to delay diagnosis if she should have a neck injury that has caused spinal cord compression....
Anthony Bray MD : A ruptured disk or the neck or neck fracture would be possible. An MVA is a high energy accident which has significant potential for injury to the body...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Ok thanks bye

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice