Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Two days ago I had a large mole-wart (?) removed by my dermatologist.

Two days ago I had a large mole-wart (?) removed by my dermatologist. He cauterized it and lightly bandaged it. There wasn't much pain and I didn't think much about it. In the morning the floor was wet where I had been sitting during the night. (I mostly sleep sitting up on the davenport because when I lay down I have serious back-aches. Oh the joy! ! ) Anyway, the rug was wet so when I checked, my bandage was soaking and water was running down my leg - - not bloody, just plain clear liquid - - from my little wound (about 1/2 inch by maybe about 1 inch). Well, I removed all the bandage and dabbed with peroxide and put several 4x4 gauze pads on and taped them in place. They were wet in just a short amount of time. So I did it all again, and put 4 gauze pads and a sanitary pad and taped it all on. By night time, it was all wet and leaking so I did it all over again only that time I used 2 sanitary pads with the gauze pads. Saturday morning I did it again (they were wet again) and by now it is Saturday evening and I am still leaking all down my leg and I don't know what is causing so much water to come out of such a small wound and if it is alright to keep changing my dressings and wait until Monday to call the doctor or should I go to Urgent Care. I really do not want to go to Urgent Care if I can avoid it, and by now they are closed too and I would have to go to the ER (Another un-fun choice) There is no pain with the wound, just the unpleasantness of the soggy mess. I guess I know what I want the answer to be, but I don't want any bad stuff to happen either. My email address [email protected] (pinkhair for breast cancer awareness - - I am a breast cancer survivor) and my name isXXXXX Thank you so much for your help.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this situation Beverly

Dr Brims :

The fluid is serous fluid, and it may make you uncomfortable, but it is not dangerous

Dr Brims :

The wound may need to be re-cauterized, but you don't need to go to an ER or urgent care as long as you keep bandaging it and there are no signs of infection like redness or swelling

Dr Brims :

You should return to the doctor within the next few days, but it is not an emergency

It looks like you might be finished and I am so grateful that it is nothing serious. I will go see the doctor Monday and just go ahead and spend the next couple of days being soggy. Thank you so much for your help and advice. You definitely will get a super smiley face describing your excellent service. I am so glad for your web-site. It has helped so very much. Thanks again. Bev

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome