A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am dieting. Well more of a lifestyle change. Yesterday I

I am dieting. Well more of a lifestyle change. Yesterday I upped my fiber intake. I think I had way more fiber than I am suppose to consume. I heard of this seed, Chia seeds and added them to my morning and night juice. I use a juicer. I think I consumed far too many chia seeds and now am so bloated and feel awful. I will know better next time. I assume too much fiber can have the reverse effects just to confirm since I'm not going to the bathroom and my gut feels so uncomfortable? What is the best way to flush myself in a healthy manner. Lots of water? Green tea? Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

One needs to institute an increase in fiber slowly over several days to a couple of weeks. A quick progression can result in gas, bloating, constipation, or diarrhea. As for help right now, be sure to drink plenty of water and try to exercise to ease the gas. That will help the body to rid itself of the intestinal contents naturally in the next 24 hours or so. There is nothing magical about green tea. Just plain water will do just fine.

If you had gone from a normal diet to juicing and then added too much chia seed that would just make the problem worse. Ideally one needs the fiber in the fruits and vegetables that get tossed aside when one is juicing exclusively. This natural fiber keeps the gut working regularly. If it is removed, then constipation is a possible result.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a workout junkie. However, today I feel so nauseous that I don't want to workout. You said, and I think working out will be may only hope. I just don't know if i can muster up the energy. I know tomorrow I will go twice as hard and hopefully feel better. However, you really think working out now will loosen me up? Exercise is my favorite drug of choice. I just feel so sick from too much fiber

Hi again,

You can try just a walk/jog around a block or two and see if that helps the gas and bloating. Often that is all it takes to get yourself going again and feeling a lot better.

All the best Smile,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist