Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

I had HER2 Positive Cancer in left breast. Breast removed December

I had HER2 Positive Cancer in left breast. Breast removed December 2011 followed by 6 months Chemo 28 days radiation including 12 months Herceptin. I was given the "all clear" 6 weeks ago and a referral for a regular check up being a m'gram and ultra sound on other breast.

Report says "irregular shaped elongated hyoechoic soft tissue lesion measuring 13mm x 4mm.

Also a dilatation of the mammary ducts in the periareolar in this segment"

what does this mean please
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

The differential for a hypoehoic breast lesion can be (keeping in view your age) anything from being cancerous to benign.

Even dilatation of mammary ducts is probably just a function of your age however if you have breast pain and nipple discharge other possible cause may include Ductal ectasia.

It may also suggest slight possibility of a malignancy.

Even as you have history of breast cancer in other breast so there may be chance of malginancy in right breast.

So to be more precise, there is a definite need for further investigation, which can include an aspiration or FNAC along with a list of symptoms such as low grade fever, loss of appetite, weight loss, generalized aches and pains, examination that can include a look for any axillary lymph nodes which gives you exact diagnosis.

Your Biopsy report can help in rule out cancer.

Besides that certain blood tests can also be helpful starting with the basic ones as Blood Complete Picture to more advanced such as the CA 15-3 and CEA (others can include HER-2 and CA 27.29).

So you need to be seen by your doctor for a clinical corelation of your current condition and investigations findings for further evaluation and management.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.... it also states "A hypoechoic lymph node is demonstrated in the right axilla measuring 6mm in the short axis...could you tell me what this means please

Thanks for the follow-up.

As your lymph node is also involved so it also increase the chances of malginancy in right breast.

However biopsy gives you the clear picture.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The MRI stated that lying within the right axilla adjacent to the pectoral musculature, is an approximately 9mm in transverse diameter lymph node. This may correspond to the node identified on the ultrasound. this is slightly circular in configuration. elsewhere within the right axilla subcentimetre diameter nodes are seen.

What does this mean please?

The MRI conclusion is no suspicious or mass like enhancement is identified within the right breast> as not all lesions are identified on MRI a normal MRI should not deter from biopsy of any indtermediate lesioins identified on ultrasound

Well both MRI and ultrasound have different dimensions and measurements.

So there can be slight difference in measurement of lymph node.

And as both investigations suggests lymph node involvement and every lymph node greater than 4 mm is suspicious and as you have history of breast cancer so it indicates metastasis.

Having said this,biopsy is the gold standard to diagnose the cancer.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.