Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

March 23 I had a kidney stone surgically removed with a basket.

March 23 I had a kidney stone surgically removed with a basket. So they had me do a 24 hour urine collection in april and found out I have way too much calcium in my urine so then we tested my blood and that was high as well. So then we tested PTH that was high so we waited a week tested blood calcium and PTH again and PTH is 170. So I went to a ENT parathyroid specialist and had a scan with radioactive componant radiologist said nothing. Then did a 3D ultrasound again nothing. Now 6 weeks later after all this started they want a MRI, I am not sure what to do because I had anfalctic reaction to contrast dye (omnipaque) and I guess i do not want to die from the dye. My ENT says its the only way unless surgery and with surgery my voicebox could be damaged I am so scared just need some answers and werent getting any from my own doctor which is sad.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Having the MRI is the best option, and it uses different contrast dyes from CT scans and other radiology studies, you are not likely to have the same reaction to it

Dr Brims :

Omnipaque is not used in MRI's

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The stress of the waiting is really getting to me and causing undeserved headaches I just dont know what to do or where to turn Dr Brims.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Omnipaque is not used in MRI scans