A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

hi, pls what exactly does a neuropsychologist do for a child

hi, pls what exactly does a neuropsychologist do for a child with speech delay?

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will whatever I can to try to help you.

Neuropsychologists are trained both in psuchology and neuroscience to understand how the brain works and to offer an opinion on what is wrong when it doesn't. For instance, they might evaluate a child with a speech delay to see if the cause is something pathological in the brain or if the delay is more related to an emotional issue. If there is some problem with brain function, sometimes repeated treatments over time will encourage new neural pathways to grow so that the child may "catch up" with his peers.

I know this is a very basic answer, so please let me know if you have questions,

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your prompt answer. do u think it can be classified as a priority testing for a child with speech delay?

Hello again,

Yes, I would put it as a priority since it can help determine the cause of the speech delay. It is a very important part of the diagnostic workup that would guide the therapy to improve speech.

Best regards,