Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

after having baby 6+ month ago I have a strange redness on

after having baby 6+ month ago I have a strange redness on my upper chest area and side of neck..... it is not rash, no looks more like dilated capillaries....dermatologist said it is sun damage....which is confusing.....because if it is sun damage it wasn't showing like that prior to pregnancy and the whole pregnancy I wasn't on a sun....and I am always looks almost like red sunburn....and it reacts to heat from shower....dermatologist said it is not rosacea......could it be just hormonal?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello. !!
Anthony Bray MD : I agree that with your description it does sound consistent with a possible photo dermatitis >> reaction to light >> certain medications may be a cause of this.... Are you taking anything now??
Anthony Bray MD : If you are not in sun at all then photo dermatitis would seem unlikely....
Anthony Bray MD : Autoimmune disease such as Lupus might be a cause of your symptom here --- I think screening for auto- immune disease should be done. Checking for self directed antibodies ( ANA,RA , ANCA) and checking for inflammatory markers may be worthwhile---
Anthony Bray MD : Carcinoid syndrome that may produce flushing as one of its potential symptoms... You may mention this a an unlikely but potential cause of symptoms.....
Anthony Bray MD : You describe flushing which is increased capillary blood flow ....
Anthony Bray MD : The flushing may be due to different causes and factors and Yes >> it at be related to hormonal changes....
Anthony Bray MD : The reactivity of the skin is an expected finding with this infectious illness>>> it is best for you to stay calm and cool to minimize the side effects of the medicstio
Anthony Bray MD : medications...
Anthony Bray MD : I do recommend that you follow up soon with a dermatologist or your doctor....
Anthony Bray MD : I think that you sharing your information with the ARMC hospital and with Kernodle clinic and social workers would of better benefit to you. I hope that this helps. Let me know if you further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback! That would be veryuch appreciated. Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

I am confused....I wasn't diagnosed with any infectious illness.....and you stated that reactivity of the skin is finding of infectious illness

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again ! >> NO --- I did not indicate that you had an infection... Infection spreading under the skin is called a cellulitis.... If this should br the cause then the skin should hurt, be tender to the touch, rapidly spreading and you would most likely have a fever with it...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards ,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

I am not taking any medication now.... when you mentioned need to check inflammatory markers....right away I thought of also two other things that happened even though I wasn't breastfeeding at all....I had twice what look like breast doctor sent me for mammogram....everything was fine.....but he was also surprised that I had redness, inflammation looking like mastitis ...

Anthony Bray MD : Hmmm. Well that does sound more serious for possible cellulitis which could easily be a complication of mastitis...
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise you to get checked soon -- tonight/ tomorrow --- have your doctor check or be evaluated via the ER or urgent care
Anthony Bray MD : How recent was your last case of episode of mastitis!?
Anthony Bray MD : The timing could be relavent as to help determine more likely diagnoses

I just finished antibiotics a week ago.....mammogram was fine, ultrasound showed some thickening of skin in affected area, redness and small bump is gone in breast area....but still feel hardness a thicker skin and still some discoloration of that area stayed.....but chest redness is present every day.....and after exercise, shower that redness becomes even more red... First episode of mastitis was right after I came from hospital home....I didn't realized that it was mastitis.....I thought it was just process of loosing milk.....but I had the same symptoms....redness...lump....fever....chills....and at the end almost flu sighs....soar throat...bit of sinuses....body aches really bad....very tired

Hello again,

It sounds more suspicious now that this may indeed be a case of cellulitis --- I would advise that you be seen today for evaluation --- a CBC with differential counts of the white cell subtypes is a recommended test--- This helps to identify infection vs no infection regarding the skin... You have had fever----how recent have you had last temp greater than 101???your doctor could check C- reactive protein and sed rate as your skin very sore or tender to the touch now?? These tests together would help shed light on what is going on to cause the redness...

I hope this helps --- best regards,

Anthony Bray MD