Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

My 2.5 year old daughter has been throwing up intermittently

My 2.5 year old daughter has been throwing up intermittently for the past two weeks. It happens generally at night, once or twice and she generally falls back asleep. She has also had some intermittent soft stools. My concern is that during the day she eats just fine, drinks plenty of fluids, primarily water, and she seems to have vomiting only at night. She will sometimes have 24 hours with no vomiting.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 3 years ago.

It's my privilege to serve you in every aspect.

I understand your concern about persistent vomiting for few weeks.

A stomach virus or "flu" is the most common reason for vomiting however it lasts for 5-10 days and subside by it's own.

Other causes which can cause vomiting in a child are:overeating or stomach upset,Gastroesophageal reflux disease,Peptic ulcer disease,food allergies,certain infections,migraine or meningitis.

Another possibility is of cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS), Its cause is unknown.The episodes tend to start at about the same time of day, last the same length of time, and present the same symptoms at the same level of intensity.

Any vomiting which persists more than 3 days shouldn't be ignored.

And i also suggest her to undergo further blood work like CBC,ESR,Serum electrolyte,Liver function test, Upper GI scopy,Stool routine examination for further evaluation.

A referral to Gastroenterologist should be considered as well.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.