Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 36 year women in a lot of pain from head to toe. I

I am a 36 year women in a lot of pain from head to toe. I have swelling all over especially in the morning. This all started when I was 14 and my hand would swell a bit and hurt. I was told I may have early arthritis but nothing was done at that time. About a month ago my eye Dr. told me that the reason I am having recent trouble seeing is because my eyes are swollen he told me to wait at least 2 hours before putting my contacts on. Every morning I would get up and my fingers and elbow feels like I just broke them. I have had several blood test done, not sure what they all were (one was called ANA and one for arthritis), but they were all negative. I had a Dr who had me sit down and without using my hands to stand up. I was not able to do it. I did not realize I was not able to until then. My knees and ankles are always swollen and weak, it hurts to walk, climb stairs and to get up and down from a chair. Also a couple of months ago my jaw started to pop when ever I talk. I feel like a 90 year-old person and getting worse. I would like to be able to keep up with my children.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello !
Anthony Bray MD : It sounds that you probably have an inflammatory arthritis ( or auto-immune arthritis ) this could include rheumatoid arthritis even though the RA fat
Anthony Bray MD : factor was negative ....
Anthony Bray MD : clinical exam and X-rays are part of the evaluation ...
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that you see a rheumatologist ....
Anthony Bray MD : You will likely benefit from one strategies to reduce inflammation...
Anthony Bray MD : one of several strategies I meant to say above...
Anthony Bray MD : I would recmrnd that you have sed rate and C- reactive protein checked as part of your evaluation...
Anthony Bray MD : Checking for gout and pseudogout would also be recommended....
Anthony Bray MD : The blood markers C-reactive protein and sed rate check for abnormal inflammation ...
Anthony Bray MD : If elevated then these may support the diagnosis of rheumatoid type arthritis or a similar process ( lupus related or psoriatic arthritis, gout, psyrdogout, other))
Customer: I am on the waiting list for the rheumatologist my appointment right now is not until August. I have also had 5 different types of med for Arthritist but non helped.
Anthony Bray MD : The jaw popping sounds consistent with TMJ syndrome --- this is inflammation and perhaps intermittent dislocation of the hinge joint of the jaw...
Anthony Bray MD : What have you tried do far??
Anthony Bray MD : i would recommend a topical ( Example aspercream or similar which help distract pain)in combination to oral MEDS-/- the combination if Tylenol for pain plus Aleve 1to 2 tablets twice daily with food may help...ok to combine Tylenol with one anti-inflammatory med...
Customer: I was tested for lupus too (neg)
Customer: I have tried Sulfmeth/trimeth, Meloxicam, etodolac, and pseudovnt
Customer: In the process I found out I am allergic to Aleve
Anthony Bray MD : Your doctor or rheumatologist may try stronger anti- inflammatory MEDS ( these are by prescription only) and may opt to try md pain reliever such as Ultram ( this moderate pain deliver would be common first choice with pain control..)
Anthony Bray MD : I see--- well the direction that you need is going to be determined by the details of your clinical symptoms, physical exam, and blood tests to include the inflammation markers--- if you should prove to have RA negative rheumatoid arthritis for example then several more potent anti- inflammatory options may be helpful for you---
Anthony Bray MD : It will depend on your exact diagnosis as to the best treatment....
Anthony Bray MD : Imuran, Humira, and others are a couple examples of MEDS that would be of benefit to rheumatoid arthritis and some similar inflammatory disease....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information helps!
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer: I have also gain wieght and inches even on when on a 4 week boot camp exersie program and diet. So far the only time I have felt okay was when I was on steroids for the first day of the highest dose. It was the first time in years I was able to make a fist.
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : Ok the response to the steroids I think is telling that this is an Inflammatiry arthritis of some type( probably not the most common osteoarthritis as it is too severe vs your age I think...)
Anthony Bray MD : Weight loss plus MODERATE exercise would likely benefit you to an extent--- perhaps most benefit to knees with weight loss...
Anthony Bray MD : I think that your visit to the Rheumatogist will be helpful for you...I wish that this could be sooner for your sake however ...
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions or discussion....I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer: Thank you
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice