A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

used to have e-coli and leukocyte esterase (+). I asked to

used to have e-coli and leukocyte esterase (+).
I asked to repeat the lab test and the results are as follows:
" bit of blood in urine - no growth on culture"
leukocyte esterase positive.
specific gravity 1.023
rbc 7 ( 0-5)
mucous 1019 ( 0-264)
20 x E6 CFU/L
no signicicant growth.

Can you explain what's wrong? thanks !!

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Leukocyte esterase in urine indicates white blood cells associated with an infection. It may be such a low grade infection that no specific bacteria grew on culture. Mucous cells line the urinary tract so their presences isn't significant. It is also possible the cells were from the vagina rather than the urinary tract since it is difficult to get a clean sample without catheterization.

A repeat of the lab test is in order. If you are having repeated symptoms of a urinary tract infections, you may want to see a urogynecologist. There are treatments such as long-term low-dose antibiotics as well as topical estrogen to improve atrophy that makes infections more common in women after menopause.

Just the results of the lab test given are not indicative of a specific diagnosis. Once you have the repeated test, they are going to have to look for a specific cause. If there are no problems with urinary retention or other structural abnormalities, then a trial of topical estrogen may be helpful for you.

Kind regards,