Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

Joint pain on right side of body. Ankel, wrist and elbow. With

Joint pain on right side of body. Ankel, wrist and elbow. With no injury / accident.

I'm 27 years old. In good shape and health.

Lately my wrist has been hurting. I thought it was maybe carpul tunnel, as I spend a lot of time on the computer. Then my elbow, I thought.. same thing... or maybe from golf.
Then, and most crucial, my ankle gave way.

I was out shopping, walking normally. In flip flops, which I don't wear often, and suddenly, while walking normal, it's like I sprained my ankle. I couldn't walk for a minute, and yet nothing happened that could have caused that. I didn't roll it, or trip or anything and it had no pain or soreness prior to that, along with no activities I can think of that would have caused it.

A few days later, with on and off pain and plenty of resting, it's back. I picked up a wrap/ brace last night, wore it, and this morning I literally can't walk. I'm going to have to go to work with crutches or something. I have a pretty high pain tolerance too, so I'm surprised.

Yesterday my ankle felt like it was bulging or swelling when I walked. It felt like there was something in my shoe.

Now, anything that could cause this? All three issues are on the same side of the body. My right side. Could they be related?

Could it be a pinched nerve in my back? I go to a chiropractor regularly, just started to a month ago, but wouldn't consider myself severe by any means. I'm also under a lot of emotional stress, if that could have any implications.

Yesterday, I took some fish oil supplements and magnesium to try to boost my ligaments and such.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Neck stiffness?

Swelling in ankle?

Numbness and tingling sensation in arm?

Lower back pain?

Are you taking any medications?

What is your occupation.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Neck stiffness - yes (but not abnormal)

Ankle Swelling - I think so, but not sure, not major swelling, maybe just inflamed?

Numbness in arm - no numbness, but a tingle

Lower back pain. - yes, (but not abnormal).

Medications - None. An advil or two maybe once a week.

Occupation - photography and video. Which will require carrying heavy stuff sometimes, but again, I don't think of anything that "triggered" it.

Thanks for providing more information.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

As you describe,neck stiffness,pain in wrist,elbow,tingling sensation in arm suggests the possibility of Cervical radiculopathy.

Cervical radiculopathy is caused by any condition that puts pressure on the nerves where they leave the spinal column. These nerves after passing from neck come to armpit as brachial plexus and then radiating to arms and fingers.
Any sort of pressure in pathways of nerves can result in radiating pain,tingling sensation in arms and hands.

So you should undergo an MRI/X-Ray examination of the cervical spine ( AP and lateral views) for further evaluation

Apart from this,as you have associated pain in ankle as well so other possible causes may include Tendonitis,Gout.

Gout usually affects small joints in ankle,wrist.

So further bloodwork like CBC,ESR,Serum Uric acid,CRP should be done in your case.

It's good to see an Orthopedist rather than continue with a Chiropractor for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.

You should continue Advil for next 3 days.

And do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses on affected area.

Also soak your foot in warm water for 5-10 minutes 2 times a day.

Elevate your leg.

At last,i suggest you to make an appointment with doctor for further evaluation and management.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.