Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My 6 year old daughter has been waking up in the early mornings

My 6 year old daughter has been waking up in the early mornings around 5 am and throwing up until 7 or 8. Mostly just dry heaving, but then she is fine the rest of the day. It only happens once every few days. This has happened before when she was 3, and that lasted a few months of every few days she would be up puking and having diarrhea usually from 3 am until 6 or 7am. We had her stools sent in and everything came back ok. What else could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Has she had any recent tests?

Customer:

no, when she was three we did a lot of things

Dr Brims :

Does she have any fevers or chills?

Customer:

no

Dr Brims :

Does she still have diarrhea?

Customer:

she did Sunday, not today

Dr Brims :

How long ago did this start?

Customer:

this time just Sunday, but it seems to be a repeat of what happened when she was three

Customer:

we were never able to find out what was wrong then, and it just seemed to quit

Dr Brims :

Any night sweats?

Customer:

she said she was sweating Sunday, I didn't notice this am. She is a hot sleeper.

Dr Brims :

There is a strong possibility that she has a recurrent viral infection, and that may be the cause of her symptoms

Dr Brims :

I would advise she have some blood tests, a complete blood count, ESR and CRP

Customer:

Ok, could this be contagious? i have two other children and my youngest has a heart defect.

Dr Brims :

It is unlikely it is contagious, usually, if she is sneezing or coughing it could be contagious

Customer:

Ok, thank you

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future, you may request me by starting your question with "Dr Brims"

Customer:

Ok, will do.

Dr Brims :

Thank you

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions on this topic, please feel free to ask, if you have no other questions, please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Customer:

will they be able to treat this and get rid of it or will it just keep recurring?

Dr Brims :

I think they will able to treat this, once they can isolate the cause, another test I recommend are pan -cultures of her fluids

Customer:

ok, anything we can do to help her while this is happening?

Customer:

just treat the symptoms?

Dr Brims :

Treat the symptoms and try to limit her eating outside the house as much as possible

Customer:

ok, that would be all I have for now. Thank you

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience