Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

diagnosed with hepb in 2010 during a routine pregnancy

hello I was diagnosed with hepb in 2010 during a routine pregnancy screening, my viral load was below 300 as I was told by my Doctor at the time. Since 2010 to 2013 I've repeated three liver panel test.  As of March 27 2013:

liver panel total protein 7.20 g/dl normal range (6.2-8.5) albumin 4.7 g/dl normal range " (3.5-5.3) globulin 2.5 g/dl normal range (2.0-4.8) A/G ratio 1.9 ratio normal range (0.6 -2.2) AST (SGOT) 29U/L 0 - 40 ALT (SGPT) 13 U/L normal range (0-38) GGT 11U/L normal range (0 - 60) ALK Phosphatase 78U/L normal range (50-130) total bilirubin 1.30 mg/dl normal range (0.2-1.6) direct bilirubin 0.6mg/dl normal range (0.0 - 0.8) indirect bilirubin 0.7mg/dl normal range (0.1 - 1.0) my urine analysis urobilinogen 0.2 Normal range (0.0 - 1) can you please advise me as I' am concerned about the progression of my condition but particularly concerned about my bilirubin values, as I have been itching slightly on my chest and arms should I be concerned about jaundice soon and what should I do about the itching as I'm not to sure if its related to my bilirubin levels or onset of jaundice. I don, t have any other symptoms except for a slight tenderness in my up right quadrant.

As per your reports,your Serum bilirubin is fine and within normal range.

And your liver function test are all in normal range and don't suggest any serious concern.

The acute illness of Hepatitis B usually goes away after 2 - 3 weeks.

The liver usually returns to normal within 4 - 6 months in most people.

Itching on chest and arms can be associated with Dermatitis.

You should try OTC Claritin and apply 1 % hydrocortisone cream on affected area.

Having said this,it's good to consult your primary doctor for a clinical exam.

Further ultrasound Whole Abdomen should be advised to screen current condition of your liver.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told I have chronic hepb in 2010, however my liver panel results have been in the normal range on all three follow up visits except for my bilirubin levels keeps elevating. my bilirubin levels six months ago were total bilirubin 0.9 , direct bilirubin 0.4 and indirect bilirubin 0.5 as compared to my results in April which were total bilirubin 1.30 direct bilirubin 0.6 and indirect bilirubin 0.7. is this normal to show such a drastic change over a period of six months. what does this means medically. what other test should I request from my doctor in regards XXXXX XXXXX chronic hep b. I, m always obsessing over thisdisease and need some serious advice.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I understand your concern regarding your Hepatitis B.

As per your reports, the bilirubin levels are in normal range and the fluctuation is insignificant..

Usually the disease progression is checked by the viral road.

I would suggest you to ask your doctor regarding the hepatitis B viral load as well to see the results.

But in many cases Hepatitis B clears especially if immune system is good and disease don't progress to liver cirrhosis.

And as per your current bloodwork,you liver is fine.

Further a clinical corelation of your current symptoms with your blood work findings is suggestive.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the responses however, i have a few more questions, please explain what you mean by,

"further a clinical correlation between your current symptoms with your blood work findings is suggestive" can you explain this statement please.

in addition I live in a region where there are no test to determine my viral load count....just liver panel test can be done..should I repeat the hep b test to see if its still positive.

could it be that I may have been positive during my pregnancy and possibly now I may have cleared the disease because my liver test are normal.

should I be taking any supplements such as milk thistle or vitamins E, what kind of supplements should I take to boost my liver health.

I do not know how to stop obsessing about this disease, I want to live a normal life, and I find myself examining my eyes and body daily looking for signs of jaundice and other symptoms. how do I live a normal live and put this disease in the back of my mind.

further a clinical correlation between your current symptoms with your blood work findings is suggestive

I mean to say that lab reports should be co-related with the clinical symptoms.

Like if the LFT is normal it suggest that the disease is not progressive and liver is functioning fine so the clinical symptoms should not be related to liver dysfunction.

So you should not manifest any clinical symptoms of liver disease.

I would definetly advise a repeat of the HBsAg test now.

(If possible by ELISA method.)

Here is a website link of most commonly prescribed liver tonic

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/pharmaceuticals/liv52.htm

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your responses they put my mind somewhat at ease. I will ask my lab if there provide the ELisa test.

have a good day

You are most welcome.

Thanks.