Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Im looking for an arthritis specialist. Hi, Im a 56 year

I'm looking for an arthritis specialist.
Hi, I'm a 56 year old male on paxil 40mg/day and crestor 10mg every second day. I get gout once or twice a year mainly from not drinking enough water (though I try) and stress. My diet is fairly good and balanced. Green smoothies (organic raw spinach and fruit), home made granola, mostly home cooked balanced meals, 1-2 alcoholic drinks a week. Some vitamins and omega 3 capsules. My episodes usually start during a stretch of higher stress and often not enough sleep. Recently I've had some bumps starting to grow on the joints of my fingers closest to the nail. My mother and her mother had arthritis in their hands, the type that made their fingers go zig zag over time. My work involves my hands doing fine movements.
So arthritis is in my family history but is there anything that that makes it decide to start now? Is there something that would arrest it's further development? Are there things to avoid that make it worse? Foods, stress, etc.? Any drugs or alternative therapies? Thanks for your help in answering these questions.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this, when did these bumps start to appear?

Customer:

about 2 months ago. They were slightly painful and you could almost feel them growing. When I press on something that would bend my finger up it would hurt. I'd never had that before and found it alarming. The first finger on my left hand got to the size of 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch high in the middle by almost 1/2 an inch diameter now. The others are a little smaller. They are not changing much lately but the first finger of my left hand is a little achy most of the time.

Dr Brims :

Have you had any x rays or tests since this started?

Customer:

No, other than that uric acid blood test.

Dr Brims :

Okay, you need to have this x rayed again, any redness and pain in the swollen areas?

Customer:

A little of both, but not like I'd get with gout in my toe or elbow.

Customer:

I will go back and ask for it to be x-rayed.

Dr Brims :

Okay, you may need a joint fluid analysis as well

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Ok. He gave me that Rx for Allopurinol. Should I start on that? I haven't yet. I've been told by 2 alternative therapy practitioners that my kidney energy is low and I have a kidney stone in my right kidney. Who knows if that's true?? But just to know for sure I told the MD about this and he called up an ultrasound of my kidneys to see and to find out for sure. I haven't started the Allopurinol because I haven't been able to fit the ultrasound into their's and my schedule yet. Should I start or hold off on the Allopurinol until I get the ultrasound done and get the x-ray and fluid analysis done? I asked for the Allopurinol because before these bumps came on, I felt like I was on the edge of getting gout for a while. Then these bumps came out two weeks before I saw him. Since gout is a type of arthritis I thought they might be related. I'm a dentist and he's a patient and we are friends. So I'm concerned about this affecting my ability to work.

Dr Brims :

I would start the allopurinol if your doctor has prescribed it already, you likely need it to prevent these bumps from forming

Customer:

I don't want to go on another long term medication if I don't have to but with my feeling of being on the edge of gout frequently I wondered if it wouldn't be best. My previous MD tried me on Probenicid 10 years ago but I didn't like the way I felt on it.

Dr Brims :

You may not have to be on it long term, but if you don't take allopurinol, the bumps may get worse

Customer:

So I'll start the Allopurinol now, get an x-ray and a joint fluid analysis. Will that tell us if it is arthritis or gout?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it will tell you if it is arthritis or gout

Customer:

Great. Once I get those things done I'll get back to you with the results. I'm glad to hear we'll be able to know which it is. If it's arthritis is there anything I can do?

Dr Brims :

Yes, there are drugs that might help, but it depends on the type of arthritis

Customer:

Ok, thanks for all your help. Have a good evening. Ken.