Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

low Creatinine,low MCHC, and high mpv what does this all m

Customer Question

low Creatinine,low MCHC, and high mpv what does this all mean
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Low creatinine is indicative usually of a low protein diet. However, it could mean kidney disease (less likely). Low MCHC and high MPV are usually signs of anemia. I don't the reason for the testing you had or if the Dr plans on repeating the tests, but most times if the above are elevated and it's just an isolated event, then nothing is done. If you return and the levels are still elevated, then more investigation will be done to rule out causes such as idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura vs hypoproductive thrombocytopnenia. So, I would return to the MD office or lab and have these repeated in another couple of weeks to see if they have returned to normal or if they are still elevated. Reply back if I can help you further or explain anything in more detail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was having my cholesterol checked because it has been high in the past few yrs the good thing is they are coming down.

April 2012 i was also checked and my creatinine was not checked but it was in 2010 and 2013 it was .6 .

MCHC 31.7 2013 MCHC 32.5 2012

MPV 11.2 2013 MCHC 11.1 2012

so to me it looks like to me my mchc is getting lower and my mpv is getting higher and creatinine is staying the same.

Ok thanks for the added information. Bare in mind that all labs will have different reference ranges (meaning the 'norms' will be a little different from lab to lab)....that being said, your MPV and MCHC is just on the high end of normal...and also, the MPV and MCHC is dependent upon the platelet size (for the most part) and the MPV and MCHC is reflective of other values (such as the platelet size, count, etc), so when looking at the MPV and MCHC, the Dr will usually look at the CBC as a whole. They will look at the hemoglobin, the hematocrit, the platelets, and then determine what is going on dependent on the whole picture. So, it could be normal for you but could also be something that your Dr will need to keep a check on.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.