Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

Sometimes during the night I get this awkward pain. In July

Sometimes during the night I get this awkward pain.
In July of 2011, I had a gallbladder attack and a few months later had my gallbladder taken out.
Since then... I get similar episodes during the night on occasion.
For instance, last night. I awoke around 4am, I got up and peed. (I have tendonitis in my right shoulder (it's been mri'ed). )
I get pain and achiness in both of my breasts. Sometimes it feels just achy and sometimes more painful, can't describe the pain sometimes, it's generally more pain then just breast tenderness during my period (of which I just had).
Most times the pain runs across both breasts and then goes back to my right shoulder. During this time, I had to go to the bathroom and I did that a few different times. Mind you, I can't lay back down because the pain is that bad. Finally after over an hour or so, I decided to take some motrin, some time after that, the pain relieved a little and I could sleep again.

My question is...does this sound like something in particular? Is it digestive related being that it makes me have to go and feels better after I go. It feels like an 'episode', it lasts for so long and then lets up. It mainly happens during the night only. I also try not to sleep on my right shoulder, to less aggravate it.
Could the shoulder pain radiate to my breast area or vice versa?
Oh and now that I'm up, I have the after affects of it, I feel achy.
Could this just be stress/tension?
Would love to hear some possibilities.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Associated heartburn.nausea,vomiting?

Chest pain and shortness of breath?

Diarrhea?

Alcohol and smoking history?

Are you taking any other medications?

Neck stiffness?

Bloating and flatulence?

Stress and anxiety issues?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No heartburn (although I take prevacid daily)

No nausea

No vomiting

I did have a little pain in the center of my chest, but more so in my actual breasts.

No diarrhea per say...but it helped when I went to the bathroom (which I normally don't do in the middle of the night).

I do not smoke or drink.

My neck is a little stiff, I've had some tension lately and just with not sleeping it doesn't help.

No bloating or flatuence - I drank at least 80oz of water yesterday.

Stress/Anxiety - yes, always, I take fioricet as needed for tension headaches, and I did take one yesterday around 5pm. I also take xanax on a very as needed basis, which is usually only 1 pill every few months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm currently on bactrim for a sinus infection too.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe sharp pain in upper abdomen,breasts shouldn't be ignored and can be caused due to possible causes like Gastroesophageal reflux disease,Costochondritis,Postcholecystectomy syndrome(presence of abdominal symptoms after surgical removal of the gallbladder in which increased bile flow) resulting in indigestion, bloating associated with pain in upper right abdomen.

Even as you have tendonitis in shoulder and if you lay down on it so it may be possible that it can aggravate pain in shoulder and also cause referral pain in chest however pain should be radiated to right side of chest only.

You should avoid late night eating and work.

Take OTC Metamucil and eat fat free diet.

You should discuss your symptoms with your regular doctor so make an appointment with your doctor.

If pain is severe again then visit ER.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Is there any specific tests that can be done to determine what it is. I have to say, I've never experienced this pain til after the gallbladder attack pain. If I did, I don't remember.

I'm on an 80% clean eating diet and I exercise, so that is a plus. I barely eat late at night, usually dinner and that is it.

Could it be stress related?

I was thinking of going to the ER but I knew it would shortly pass. And when I did go to the ER before my surgery, tests/xrays showed nothing.

Thanks for the follow-up.

You need to undergo Chest X-ray,EKG,Upper GI scopy,Liver function test for further evaluation.

You should continue to take Motrin if you feel relief.

And it's good to make an appointment with your doctor for a clinical examination in next few days.

Do deep breathing exercises and meditation to relieve stress and anxiety.

Elevate your head side of bed while lying down.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Good Luck.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.