Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I have chronic back pain. Can I take low=dose tylenlo (690mg)

I have chronic back pain. Can I take low=dose tylenlo (690mg) per day for a long period of time? Cannot walk without it? Will i get liver damage?
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

What is the severity of pain on scale of 1-10?
Do you have any known liver disease?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8,No known liver disease

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8, no liver disease

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8.No known liver disease

Dear Ellen,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Normally,a small amount of Tylenol is expected to be metabolized into a harmful by-product called NAPQI (N-acetyl-p-benzoquinoneimine). When taken in excessive dose,too much of the toxic NAPQI is made and it damages the main cells of the liver.

Adults should not take more than 1 gram (1000 mg) of tylenol (acetaminophen) per dose or 4 grams (4000 mg) per day. & that too for short duration only.

Taking more than the recommended amount can cause liver damage, ranging from abnormalities in liver function blood tests, to acute liver failure.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is as you do not have history of any liver disease now,yes,you can take low dose of tylenlol (690mg) per day for long term but you need to get check your liver function at regular intervals say every 3 months.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions,please ask me - I'll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Hi Ellen,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Are you taking tylenol?
Is your pain controlled?

Let me know,