Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I bent over last night and pulled something in my back. It

I bent over last night and pulled something in my back. It was extremely painful and I couldn't stand up straight or move. I was basically stuck lying on the bed. My husband and I decided to call an ambulance to take me to the ER because I just couldn't move without extreme pain. The ER diagnosed muscle sprain and spasm and administered Toradol, Valium, Dexamethasone, and Dilaudid through an IV. This improved the pain and range of motion significantly. They discharged me and gave me prescriptions for a steroid, Oxycodone, and Valium. My last dose of Dilaudid was at about 5am- its 1230pm now. I can still feel the pain but it has improved so that I can walk and sit up now. Is there anything else I should do at this point?

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, at this point ,there are some things you can do to heal faster .

For most people after 48 hours ,there is a great improvement , you could apply some cold compresses on the area during the first 48 hours to decrease inflammation .

After that time , apply warm compresses to increase the blood flow . There are some good natural remedies including drinking pineapple juice or eating pineapple slices which contain bromelain ,a healing product .

You could also get Arnica cream or ointment which you can get over the counter to apply on your back. To decrease the pain, you could drink hot milk mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric juice .

When you get better ,you should perform light exercises to strengthen your back muscles like swimmimg or bicycling . When you are fully recovered , doing some crunches or abdominal exercises will strengthen your abdominal muscles and give more stability to your back muscles , other good options are pilates and yoga.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.