Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My dad tried to stab himself

Customer Question

My dad tried to stab himself
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : he should be getting psychiatric care if this is the case... How long ago did this happen??
Anthony Bray MD : I would be very concerned that he may still be at risk for suicide with this kind if act...
Anthony Bray MD : often it is best in this type of situation for the person to be hospitalized at first and hopefully stabilized with psychiatric counseling and medications if needed...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that he is receiving care for this...
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further details or questions with regard to his situation or care...
Anthony Bray MD : I will be happy to get back with you! Best regards ,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer : Id prefer this question go to dr chip
Anthony Bray MD : Ok I will opt out then... Perhaps he will come back online and see your question...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 months ago.
I'm back--so what happened?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont know. My mom called me frantic. She said my dad is sick of life and he stabbed himself. And is in the hospital now
That's all she said?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes thats all she said. I feel like its my fault. My dad left me 2 messages to call him and i didnt
You always find it so easy to blame yourself for things like this--this isn't your fault
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just feel so bad for him.
So did you talk with him after the attempted overdose a while back?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Well, if you feel so bad for him, why didn't you at least talk to him about it? I'm not saying you should have, just curious here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because i dont like talking to him. Just hearing his voice makes me feel ishy
OK. I fully understand. Still, I don't think your having talked to him this time would have made any difference
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Maybe not. But i cant avoid talking to him forever. Eventually i will have to grow up and get over what he did
True--and of course, to do that you have to work on it and not just with me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if i never forgive him and he kills himself
Why do you think his attempts at suicide are all because of you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont think they are because of me. But i do think i could talk hom out of trying to kill himself. When i still lived with my parents i talked him out of it all the time.
What he needs is a professional to do the talking him out of it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know
So what else to say about this?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess nothing. Sorry for bothering you
No bother but I just don't think there's anything more to say except you could call him when he's out of the hospital just to talk briefly. With the stipulation that you tell him that there are certain things you won't talk to him about for now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do i have to close this page?
Not for now but unless you have something specific to ask, wait until you do
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long will the aspirin upset my stomach
Probably not more than after tonight but really, don't waste time here on something like that--we'll keep the page open but make good use of it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im sorry. I was just wondering. Night
Night
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One very important question. Do you promise these nightmares wilm go away?
In time, yes--they're like flashbacks and so long as your subconscious still harbors them and they aren't brought to conscious level and worked on, they'll stay there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just got a call from martys work and hospital. Martu was brought via ambulance from
His work for chest pain and SOB. At the hospital they gave him nitro oxygen and morphine
Standard treatment for chest pain--have you found out anything more?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nope. Ekg was normal
Then not likely a heart attack
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know but he has SVT. And has a hx of cardiac catheterization and ablation
So if you knew that, why bring it up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because i dont know whats wrong with hin
Well, neither do I right now but if he was having chest pain and the EKG was normal it isn't cardiac
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Appointment with dr vege at Mayo on 6/20
Great
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont wanna go
So what?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its for 3-5 days
Well, actually that's good--they are very, very thorough
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cant afford to miss that much work
Here we go again--that is entirely your decision but it would be a shame if you didn't go
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why?
Oh, come on--that is really a silly, stupid question unless you're just saying it to get a rise out of me. I'm not even going to respond to it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You tell me how i can afford it
That's up to you--I can't help you with that part
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I really cant afford to miss work. Maybe i should talk to my gi dr
Find out for certain why they want to take that many days
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did and they said to plan on 3-5 days because if i need to see some other specialty there it gives them time to make an indepartmental referral and allows me to see the specialist wothout having to go back. The murse also told me to plan on getting a hotel room the night before since i have to be there at 720 on the 20th
Well, we can't really get any further with this--either you work it out financially or you don't.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I feel like im letting you down
Only if you don't see what you may be able to do to swing it at work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think it would be feasable if i have my gi dr
Talk to the specialtist at mayo and order whatever test he recommends
That's a thought but I think your GI should explain to the Mayo how much of a financial hardship this would be on you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I feel bad that the gis nurse spent so mich time getting things set up. I wish i could make an appt and just talk to the gi dr
Well you still need to talk to him about this but seriously, there's nothing more for us to talk about with the subject
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im sorry
I understand so no need to apologize but there really isn't anything else to say about it for now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im just scared
About?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Everything.
Not sure I understand
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im scared my dads going to die. Im scared martys going to die. Im scared to go to mayo
Well, I don't think Marty's near death and there isn't much you can do about your dad although since he's tried suicide several times before and not been successful I don't think he's really serious about it. I don't think you should be scared to go to Mayo--not sure why that would scare you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im just overwhelmed right now. And i have no one for support
I'll say it one more time--what about one of your friends?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Whatever
That was a nothing and snide comment
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont have people.
Yes you do but you refuse to reach out to them
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im just scared. I dont wanna go to Mayo by myself
What's the big deal about that? You've made trips before that were more than a day or two
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ive always been with my family. I know im 24 qnd am acting like a baby but im just scared
Well you can do it assuming you can work it out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just thinkong about it causes a panic attack
We're starting to chat.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You dont know what its like to be me. I worry about everything constantly
I've tried to help you with that but I guess it wasn't much help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Youve helped me plenty. But seriously since i was a teen i worried excessivly about everything
Well, unless you've got something specific to comment on, I need to be off.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good night. Please dont make me close this page
OK
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My pcp is making me frustrated. When he checked my vitamin d level 3 months ago he said hed recheck it in 3 months now hes saying 4 months
Shouldn't really make a difference
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But now i have no vitamin d
Not sure what you mean
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My script ran out
Well you may not need any more for now but really we're wasting the open page with this
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im sorry. I talked to my therapist about mayo and he said id be ok if i postponed the visit for a couple months
Well not sure he'd be the best judge of that but aren't you going to run into the same financial problem in two more months?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well its only rough financially right now because i had a week off for the ulcers. And i needed new tires and new tirods for my vehicle
OK--but be sure to work on the new referral now. And I did leave the page open but so far you really haven't made much use of it so unless there's something specific to discuss briefly we need to close it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please dont make me close it
I can't just make this an unending chat so don't post anything more until you have something significant to talk about then.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I talked to my dad. He said he regrets trying to harm himself. He said he wants to talk to me when he gets out
What else did he say?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That hes going to get help this time and thats pretty much all
Good--maybe finally he's realized he needs the help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ive heard it before. He never follows through.
We'll see. Anything more because we really do need to close this page?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plz dont make me
Sorry but I have to--not that you have to rate or accept but I'm obligated to post an answer on a page this long
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But i cant afford another question
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What can i do for home sickness whike im at mayo
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 10 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. ..or because they have to go off line for any number of reasons. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cancel please