Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

numbness, weakness, tingling all extremities, sometimes just

numbness, weakness, tingling all extremities, sometimes just one or two, maybe an arm or leg. No consistency found. dizzy/light headed occasionally. numbness around mouth, under eye, face occasionally. Frequent headaches, tripping, sometimes falling, dropping things, forgetful. Nystagmus three times. Severe leg cramps, hand cramps if used to carry weight, muscle twitches, hand tremor that comes and goes, feeling different temperatures with right and left hand which others don't feel. What is this??
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Have you had any blood work yet for this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, in ER, d dimer elevated, 7 ct negative. K a little low 3.1, i also have gfr 49 but stable. D low as well, all other labs normal. Had MRI, but results not back. they were ruling out tumor or stroke since one of my er visits i had numbness on one side, but they said it wasn't at the time. Neuro wants to rule it out.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Some of your symptoms are a little non-specific to any one particular illness.....a few of your symptoms even sound like low blood sugar or anxiety. Hopefully the MRI results will help narrow things down a bit. A low potassium level could cause some vague symptoms too. The elevated d-Dimer could be related to a blood clot or the possible stroke. Reply back if I can add anything else for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ct ruled out pe which i knew wasn't the cause since i wasnt sob. blood sugar is stable. I do have stress in my life, but not any more than i normally have. I have a long history of migraines with and without aura. So maybe atypical migraine? My headaches have changed. I recently had a headache every morning for about 10 days, usually with nausea and vomiting about 50% of the time. Headache always gone by late morning. Those type of headaches have stopped. I also had one headache that was dependent on position. For example, if I was lying on my back, the back of my head hurt, if lying on my right side, the right side would hurt, etc. This only happened once, lasted for a few hours then gone.

Have you ever been officially diagnosed with migraine headaches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, migraines at about age 22. Then when I was about 26, I had partial loss of vision went to the er, ct done and negative so they referred me to a specialist and was diagnosed with ocular migraines. Tried Propranolol 3 years ago, but couldn't take it because it lowered my bp to the point I couldn't function. Until recently, I have been able to cope with migraines and was having more of the aura and less of the pain. One of the neuros told me that as people age, the migraine symptoms often change. If I have the aura, the actual headache that follows is short, less than an hour and tends to be less severe. However, if I don't have the aura, the pain can be relentless and debilitating. I have had a migraine that lasted 3 days. It was several years ago. Usually, it lasts a day or two.

Thank you for the added information. If your MRI is negative, I would suspect your migraines could be the cause of most of this. I bet the Neurologist will pursue that avenue next. And you are correct, migraine symptoms can change drastically over the span of a few years...especially as we age.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.