Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

every now and then I get bad spasm is my upper back - its

every now and then I get bad spasm is my upper back - it's worst when I stand up after lying down for awhile, I have to be careful how I move. At it's worst the pain doesn't go away for days and the only thing that seems to help is a heating pad. What is this?! It's been over a year and was only on the right side, but has moved to the left!

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

When did it start?

Customer:

It started in April of last year. At first I thought I had slept funny, but it actually didn't start bothering me until the afternoon, but it was that same kind of feeling in my neck and upper back on the right side. That time it didn't go away for over a week, and it's come back three times since then, but each time on the right side until now.

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

I don't take anything for this. I tried ibuprofen but it didn't really help.

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication at all?

Customer:

I take a generic of Seasonal, and Welbutrin - not sure on the spelling! :)

Dr Brims :

Do you have depression or anxiety?

Customer:

Depression.

Dr Brims :

Does anything make the pain better?

Customer:

It gets better if I use a heating pad, or if I just keep moving. However, the moving part can be hard because I have to be careful how I move or I'll get a sharp pain.

Dr Brims :

Does anything make it worse?

Customer:

Staying still does - really will bother me in the morning when I wake up, or if I stand up after laying on the couch for awhile. Also, if it hurts on the right side I have a hard time turning my head to the right. My husband is sweet, but I almost think rubbing my back makes it worse too. :(

Dr Brims :

Have you had any tests?

Customer:

Not any tests, no.

Dr Brims :

Okay, this is likely due to an irritated nerve causing these spasms. Usually medication like flexeril or soma can help treat this, they are anti-spasmodic drugs that prevent spasms.

Dr Brims :

That will not address the cause, to properly evaluate the cause you will have to have this examined

Dr Brims :

Often, anti-inflammatory drugs used regularly over time may decrease the inflammation that may be causing the irritated nerve

Customer:

ok, I have one other question - you got me thinking when you brought up anxiety. The first time it happened was two days before I ran my first 5K and just 4 days before my husband was supposed to be coming home from Kuwait. Does depression or anxiety ever cause things like this as well, and would the same types of medication help?

Dr Brims :

Anxiety could cause this, but not depression, the drugs used for anxiety or depression are different, usually drugs like fluoxetine or sertraline are used for those

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Dr Brims :

Please respond if you can see my replies

Customer:

I'm sorry! Phone call :)

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

So you would recommend seeing a doctor?

Dr Brims :

If the pain is severe, yes, I would recommend seeing a doctor

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help! :) I appreciate it greatly

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome