Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

will meprobamate lower the effects of methadone? im on methadone

will meprobamate lower the effects of methadone? im on methadone maintenance. i cant take benzos. as the rules of the clinic i attend. meprobamate is acceptable will this lower or raise the effects of the methadone?
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Have you already started on meprobamate?

Is your doctor using meprobamate to replace methadone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i go to a methadone clinic. i on xanax for anxiety before starting the clinic over a year ago. the clinic doesnt allow benzodiazapines. i have a bottle of meprobamate i was gonna try this for my anxiety to see how it helps. if it works then i would seek a doctor for a new prescription. i was just wondering if meprobamate would decease the effects of my methadone. the last thing i want is to go into withdraw and mess up my progress with my opioid treatment.

Hello Brandon.

Sorry I could not get back to you earlier because my internet service was down.

You could use meprobamate for treating anxiety for short term only (like a couple of weeks or 2 to 3 months). However, It is habit forming and a tranquilizer, so you may have withdrawal symptoms with it too. Its effects on methadone has not been studies yet but it is not safe to be taken together because of the sedative effect of meprobamate.

Instead, you can use another non benzodiazepine anti anxiety drug which is not a tranquilizer.
Buspirone, also known by its trade name Buspar, is a non-benzodiazepine medication that is indicated for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder.It can be taken even with methadone and does not have any adverse effect on opiate withdrawal.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!