Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I have been experiencing gastro problems for months. I am seeing

I have been experiencing gastro problems for months. I am seeing a gastro doctor but so far no answers. I have bouts of explosive diarrhea and then constipation. I have extreme gas pains, feel bloated and sometimes nauseous. I have had a MRI, a CT Scan and and endoscope. I am having a colonoscopy this week. So far all tests results are either fine or inclusive - some inflammation of the stomach lining. Please help.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you.

It's my privilege to serve you in every aspect.

Associated mucus in stool?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Stress and anxiety?

What is your occupation?

Alcohol and smoking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No mucus in stool

Major back problems - had a laminectomy - now on pain management with epidural and injections

Paraythroid disease - parathyroid benign tumors removed

Gallbladder surgery - no symptoms discovered on a CAT scan 2 years ago

Medications is occasional oxycodone - maybe one twice a week, valium - again occasionally, vitamins

2 glasses of wine with dinner over a 2 1/2 hour period

I do smoke - about 2 1/2 packs a day

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One other thing I forgot to mention - I have little or no appetite and am down to 70 pounds.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe,your symptoms are suggestive of Postcholecystectomy syndrome( the presence of abdominal symptoms after surgical removal of the gallbladder) in which increased bile flow resulting in indigestion, bloating,diarrhea.

It is advised to take fat -free diet.
You should avoid caffeine, peppermint, chocolate, smoking.
You should eat fruits, veggies,wheat bran and whole grain(unrefined) products.
You should increase Vegetable Protein (especially soyaprotein ),foods containing Pectin (Apples) and foods containing Cellulose (Celery and Crisp Fruits & Vegetables).
You should avoid saturated fat intake, animal meat, all white flour products and artificial food additives.

Other possible cause may include Irritable Bowel syndrome as it's a functional disorder.

There is no specific test for IBS, although diagnostic tests may be performed to rule out other problems include stool sample testing, blood tests, and cat scan, ultrasounds, endoscopy and colonoscopy.

As your test results are negative,it may suggestive of IBS based on your symptoms

Even stress and anxiety can be contributing factor in IBS.
You can take metamucil.
Take OTC mylanta.
You should add more fibre in your diet.
Start probiotics and eat yogurt.
Do meditation and deep breathing exercises to relieve stress.
Do regular exercises.

I suggest you to consult your Gastroenterologist again for further evaluation and management.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a high rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.