Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have had pain in my lower left pelvic area on and off for

I have had pain in my lower left pelvic area on and off for almost two years. It comes and goes and on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most painful) the pain has sometimes gotten to about a 6. Usually with a bowel movement the pain may go away. WHen I have gas the pressure is always on the left side.. Sometimes the pain shoots down my leg and to my lower back. Im very active, I run, teach dance and have no signs of fatigue, weight loss or loss of appetite. My bowel movements are pretty frequent.. they do range from time to time in shape and color, but for the most part they are pretty normal. On occasion Ill have a pale colored stool, or diarrhea , but thats usually when I have coffee or after drinking alcohol. When I press on the area that hurts there is no tenderness or pain.. so Im thinking it might be something in my small intestines.. I have been to two GI doctors who both said they thought it was IBS.. one other doctor I spoke with had me get an abdominal ultrasound done which came back normal. He thought it may be diverticula.. Im still having the pain so Im not sure if I should get a full CT Scan of my lower abdominals or a sigmoidoscopy just to be safe?? Im a super hypochondriac so Im freaking out that I have a tumor in my colon or something. Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this situation

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

Just birth control

Dr Brims :

Okay, any blood in your stool?

Customer:

No never

Customer:

sometimes a little mucus but not a lot

Dr Brims :

Okay, this may be IBS, but you should have a CT scan of your abdomen and pelvis with oral and intravenous contrast, this will show any diverticula or possible inflammation if they are present

Customer:

Do you think there is any concern that I would have a tumor in my colon or colon cancer?

Dr Brims :

No, I don't think there is any concern for either

Customer:

Also, can coffee or alcohol cause pale colored stool?

Dr Brims :

Pale colored stool can be caused by either of those, and is not a symptom that is diagnostic of a particular condition

Customer:

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to make sure I should be worrying about a tumor or something life threatening.

Customer:

shouldn't be**

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

I don't think you have to worry about anything serious

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions on this topic feel free to ask

Customer:

Ok, what would be something alarming to worry about?

Customer:

as far as your colon and GI tract

Dr Brims :

Blood in your stool, dramatic unintentional weight loss

Customer:

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX make an appointment for a CT Scan. Have a good one!

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions, please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session