Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have had a sore throat for 4 days. for the first 3 days

I have had a sore throat for 4 days. for the first 3 days i had a low fever (99) on and off. My nose is stuffed up and i have developed a cough mainly due to congestion and a tickle in my throat.
Welcome to Just Answer!
Thans for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar and I am pleased to assist you.
If you have questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

Most often these are due to viral infections and will subside on their own.
The following may be done for relief -

1. Take Tylenol 500 mg every 6 hours for fever
2. Do salt water gargling for sore throat
3. Take a spoon of honey for relief from cough
4. Instill saline nasal drops and use humidifiers for relief from nasal stuffiness
5. Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration

I hope that answers your question.
If you have any question you can ask me.
If you have no more questions kindly rate this service.
Regards,
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any chance this could be strep? It hurts to swallow and there are a few very small white spots on my throat. My throat is also red but doesnt seem to be swollen that much. How will i know if this has become something more than a viral infection? When should i expect this to subside?

As Dr Ratnakar is offline, so i would try to help you.

The possible diagnosis considering your symptoms would be either of the following-

1. Tonsillitis
2. Strep throat

Tonsillitis would cause white spots in throat along with pain in swallowing. Strep throat would also cause similar symptoms.

You may need Rapid strep test and Throat swab for culture.
A quick test can indicate if strep bacteria are present, or if the infection is due to a virus.Throat culture test will be done.

It is good that you have already started with antibiotic- Cefadroxil 500mg twice a day. So,bacterial infection can easily get away with such antibiotic. You need to continue this antibiotic for 5-7 days.

You should continue with antibiotic, for minimum 5 days.

Also you should do Menthol steam inhalation .As Menthol salts are available OTC, you can use them. You should do this three times a day. Take Antihistamines like Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC).
You should use Otrivin nasal drops 2 drops three times daily in both nostrils(OTC).

You should Gargle with hot, saline water - mix 2 teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
Take Motrin tablet for pain.
Improve your immunity by taking a multivitamin multi mineral supplement.
Most likely with antibiotic, treatment your condition should get resolve in next 3 days.

If you develops, high grade fever, have breathing problem, or pain is severe in swallowing, then you should not delay and immediately get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years