Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

Have you heard of someone having to have an appendectomy in

Have you heard of someone having to have an appendectomy in order to remove a tubulovillous adenoma polyp in the cecum? Was told the doctor can't get in there with his instruments because of where it is positioned, thus needing an appendectomy.

Weclome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I am able to help you with your medical problem today.

A laparoscopic removal of a polyp in the cecum can be complicated by hemorrhage or perforation. Sometimes, the tumor may not get resected completely, leaving a part of it behind attached to the ceacal walls. This can be dangerous.

A radical appendectomy is nowadays a standard procedure in the removal of cecal polyps - this ensures that the full thickness of the polyp gets removed.

In your case, the doctor took the right decision in going for a appendectomy.

I hope this helps.