Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

For months now Ive had horrible cramps stomach pains and feel

For months now I've had horrible cramps stomach pains and feel the need to have bowel movements four+ times a day, went to my gp about it and she passed it off as IBS, gave me mebrevine to take to help with the cramps, yet a few months down the line the stomach cramps are getting worse, I'm having trouble with my bowel movements, like I need to go but I just can't, over the past week I've been getting woken up in the middle of the night feeling the need to have bowel movements which my gp has said shouldn't happen but still passes it off as IBS, also in the past week I've been getting sharp, pressure feelings in the bottom of my back that are just getting worse. Any help figuring this out would be great as I really don't think it's just a case of IBS, thanks.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you get diarrhoea?

Blood in stools?

Have you expereinced weight loss?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont get diarrhoea, blood in stools or weight loss but I have had a fever on and off all week.
You did not have endoscopy done, right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I haven't had any checks for anything, was just given the mebrevine and it was left at that.

Thank you very much for the useful information Laura.

IBS is actually a diagnosis of exclusion, which means all the possible organic causes of the symptoms you have need to be ruled out first by means of comprehensive clinical tests before attributing this to IBS (which is a functional disorder).

This cramping pain can be due to stomach ulcers, gastritis, circulation issues to the gut, chronic pancreatic inflammation, gall stones, and inflammatory bowel disease.

You need number of tests (including blood work as well as endoscopy) to look for all the possible causes that might be responsible for the symptoms you have.

If not already, you should get a referral to a Gastroenterologist and discuss all the details i have mentioned to chalk out further management plan that suits best to your needs.

Until then avoid large fatty and spicy meals.

And maintain adequate hydration.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.