Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

My forehead/top of head feel hot. Went to the school nurse

My forehead/top of head feel hot. Went to the school nurse (I'm a teacher) and my temp by thermometer was normal she said. I have PMS and am just starting peri-menopause.Is this a hot flash? My hands, etc are not hot (actually cold/clammy due to the weather today in NY and my classroom is cold).

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

May I ask how old you are?

Customer: 38
Dr Brims :

Do you have any other medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer: I am on cozaar (I did eat salty stuff last night and today which was a no no).
Dr Brims :

Okay, and you have been diagnosed as menopausal?

Customer: Just by symptoms, peri.
Dr Brims :

Okay, any chills?

Customer: No. I thought was thyroid but had it checked since was told thyroid issue can mimic menopause. Not thyroid :)
Dr Brims :

When did these symptoms start and what tests have you had?

Customer: Well today the hotness started on the afternoon so went to school nurse. Thought had a fever. Checked me twice like 45 mins apart. No fever. I had thyroid test last month. I have an ovarian cyst that's going away, since march. Had ultrasound in April. Next one June 13. Have to wait for the period that's coming in 11 days
Dr Brims :

Okay, these may be due to hot flashes from perimenopause, but you should have hormone blood tests to make sure

Customer: Well the gynecologist said if need to be off my ortho tri cyclen lo for those tests but by going off it my cyst could get worse. I chose to stay on the pill.
Dr Brims :

Dr Brims :

These symptoms are most likely from hormones causing hot flashes

Customer: So I really want to know- a hot flash doesn't show up through thermometer? It's just a feeling?
Customer: It lasted a few minutes
Dr Brims :

It is just a feeling, it is not detectable with a thermometer

Customer: Ahhh ok
Dr Brims :

Is there anything else I can help you answer on this question?

Customer: That's it thanks!