Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I just had an STD screening, to my surprise, I tested positive

I just had an STD screening, to my surprise, I tested positive for HSV2. I have had no symptoms and tested negative a year ago. My ex-boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex for a year. His test results came out negative. Is that possible? We broken up recently I told him that I was positive. Could he be lying and had it all along?

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Two scenarios here......either the HSV2 test a year ago was erroneous (incorrect) OR your boyfriend is a carrier of HSV2 (means he's been in contact with the HSV2 virus) and passed it along to you. You can get HSV2 and not be symptomatic (have no symptoms), so he may have it and not know it. Did you actually SEE his test results or did you go by what he said (that he tested negative). Let me know if you actually saw his results or if he just told you that his test was negative.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He called me and told me there was a full panel test that was performed.
I'm confused because we were very sexually active and very experimental.
He has taken HIV tests in the past but not for HSV-1 or HSV-2. Both of us were sexually active before we started dating.

Ok thanks for the added information.

Don't be confused. You were HSV2 negative going into the relationship. You don't know if your partner was or was not....most likely he was HSV2 positive. If he was the only person you have sexual contact with after you tested negative, then it most certainly looks as though he is the guilty party (meaning he was the one who passed it along to you). Reply back if I can help you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response.
My tests result came back 8.0, what does the number mean?
I just felt that it was my responsibility to tell my ex that I tested positive.
I'm still very confused, HSV-2 is supposedly highly contagious, although I have not had any symptoms. How likely is it that his test came out negative? I'm actually surprised that I have it. I am pretty cautious when it comes to safe sex.
Yes, it was nice of you to share your personal information with your ex, however, I feel as though he was the one who gave you the virus (from what the scenario reveals here). Yes, HSV2 is very contagious but our bodies do a good job of suppressing things and they never manifast into symptoms. Some folks will test positive for HSV2 and not know they ever have it because they never get tested. 8.0 could represent many things and lab values are specific to the lab where the test was done. The 8 could represent an IgG level which is an antibody that your body forms when it comes in contact with viral material.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
8.0 is a pretty high number is it not. Does it mean I was exposed to the virus recently? Why is the number so high? I've never had an outbreak, should I anticipate them. My doctor told me to test again for herpes and send it to another lab.
I agree with you that he probably given it the virus to me. I broken up with him because he was lying and cheating.
I was devastated when I found out the news, I just have to be more cautious now.
It could mean that you were exposed'd have to find out what the 8 represents. Could be IgG or it could be IgM...if it's IgM, this would represent a new infection....where IgG would be an older exposure. Retesting yourself would be good rule out any lab errors as well. Hopefully you won't have any symptoms and I commend you for being proactive in your health and for telling your ex that you tested positive. At least one of you were honest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was 8.0 in an IgG test. If that helps. I'm stressed I always test negative in the past. I just want to know what the high number means.
Unfortunately every lab has their own reference ranges. The lab itself or the lab results would be a good reference point for that. Also wanted to tell you that Blood tests take 3-6 months to turn positive after exposure because it takes 3-6 months for your body to make IgG antibodies in response to an infection or virus (if that helps you any).