Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

what does a high feritin (825) with low Saturation(%17.7) and

what does a high feritin (825) with low Saturation(%17.7) and a normal esr and crp point to ? is this most likely caused from a malignancy such as cancer or something else, Iron and all other blood test are normal

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

When was the test done?

Any concurrent medical illness you have like liver disease or chronic infection?

Are there any medications you take?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Klonopin at night Lisiniprol 20mg per day for High blood pressure. The test was done a few days ago. No known health problems

Thank you very much for the useful information Bill.

The levels are high, and a matter of concern requiring further evaluation.

But honestly, if other tests like ESR/CRP were normal, i would simply repeat the test after few days as this slight elevation in ferritin levels may represent a non-specific inflammation or a sub clinical infection in your body, which other tests failed to pick.

If the levels remain persistently high, then other tests should be done for closely related conditions like hemochromatosis, any form of liver disease (all chronic liver conditions can give you high ferritin), blood disorders etc.

The levels of ferritin in malignancy are usually VERY HIGH, in several thousands in general.

If you do not have any other symptoms, and if all the other tests are normal, i would not consider a cancer/malignancy on the top.

At this point, i will suggest you to keep your self calm and relax.

Avoid food rich in iron.

Daily exercise.

And get the test repeated after 2 weeks.

If the levels remain high, a further evaluation should be done keeping in view all the differentials i just mentioned.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can being overweight and having a fatty liver cause this kind of feritin level

Yes.

As i already mentioned that any form of liver disease can give you high ferritin levels.

In the initial stages, this represents just an inflammation going on in the liver.

In advanced liver disease, this elevation of ferritin represent iron overload.

If you are over weight, try reducing your weight by exercise daily and by diet modification.

Repeat the test after few weeks, and most likely this will improve if it is due to fatty liver.

I hope this clarifies.

Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so in advanced liver disease you would have an elevated feritin, elevated Saturation% and and elevated Iron in your blood?

Yes in almost all of the cases.

However, Iron might be low in advanced liver disease if the patient has bleeding (such patients bleed a lot in the stomach and other parts of body).

Kindest Regards