Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I had a serum calcium levels over three months of 10.5, 9.9,

I had a serum calcium levels over three months of 10.5, 9.9, and 10.5. Had ionized calcium test and pth tests done and they were all normal. So, parathyroid issues ruled out. Seeing a urologist for excess calcium in body due to multiple kidney stones. He is doing a 24 hour urine test. Yesterday, at my gyno appointment for yearly pap smear I bled quite a bit post exam and have some light pink spotting today. At that appointment, doctor found a hard immovable nodule on my neck. Went to PCP immediately and they said it was no more than 1 cm. I had a sore throat last week, with red spots on the back of it. Been getting very little sleep due to company coming in from out of town. Any thoughts if these all may be related?

Usually serum calcium is very sensitive test and the readings may fluctuate due to contamination while testing.

Other causes include a diet rich in calcium or taking calcium supplements.

Probably all these issues are not related.

Bleeding or spotting after pap smear may also be observed for a day or two because the cervical cells are quite delicate.

If bleeding persists more than 5 days then it should be further evaluated.

Nodule in neck can be swollen lymph node due to sore throat and called reactive lymphadenopathy.
Overall,wait and watch approach should be considered as suggested by your doctor.

In the meantime you can take OTC Claritin and Motrin for sore throat.

Do saline gargles.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any reason to suspect the raised lymph node is cancerous? She seemed to think it was mononucleosis resurfacing, I had a bad case at 23.
If the size of the lymph node increases and other nodes develop further investigations like FNAC may be considered as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, if the nodule has not decreased in size by three weeks (my next appointment) then the FNAC will be ordered? I found it around tuesday of last week (right before I starting feeling ill). But the virus never took a huge hold over me. Should I expect the nodule to decrease in the next few weeks (would that be expected if nothing is wrong)? Also, I had this test done when I was around 2 years old because my lymph nodes have always been pronounced around my neck and nothing was found.

Usually FNAC(Fine needle aspiration cytology) is ordered if suspicion of cancerous lesion is there.

Usually lymph node tend to enlarge in response to infection and is very common.

Usually these susbside after few weeks after the infection subsides.

So you should expect that the nodule is decreased in next few weeks and it will suggest nothing is wrong.

If it is persistent and increase in size further investigations may be done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. Thank you. Do you think this could be related to my higher levels of calcium? My doctors seem to be perplexed and the only one really looking into it is my nephrologist. He said he wants to rule out sarcoidosis as well.Also, my doctors found the nodule to be hard and immovable. But my PCP said that she did not feel any mass on it, it was 1cm at the most, and that it was just my actual lymph node. Are lymph nodes usually movable and squishy?

Usually they are painless and movable.Infections are the commonest cause of swollen lymph nodes.

Hardened, fixed, rapidly growing nodes may indicate tumours.

So that is why we suggest that if these are growing FNAC is required.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are fixed, slightly movable, and sore to the touch.
Sore to touch(tender) is a classical sign of inflammation due to infection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I hope they go down over the next few weeks. I noticed them and more or less became very concerned because I wasn't sit. Two days later had a very sore throat and I have gotten pretty much 20 hours of sleep over the past 5 nights. Very busy running around after an 18 month old. So, I was surprised to see they were still raised at my docs appointment yesterday when I was tired, but they were not sore. This morning my neck is killing me and is extremely sore. and I am achy down my shoulders as well. I was exposed to my entire family with a bad cold all weekend as well. It's just a very frightening thought to have a biopsy done.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

You should take OTC Motrin if your neck is sore.

Also do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment on shoulder areas and apply warm compresses with a heating pad which provide your relief.

If your symptoms'll not improve or get worse over the time then consult your doctor again for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.