Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I have done something to a muscle in my back/shoulder. I am

I have done something to a muscle in my back/shoulder. I am taking regular paracetamol and ibuprofen. Normally I would get my husband to massage the area to release the knot but he is away for a week. I canot reach the area myself. It is really painful and I don't know what else to do. It is much worse at night or when sitting down
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN : HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.
DR HASAN : Do you feel any numbness or tingling there?
DR HASAN : Any associated neck pain?
DR HASAN : How much dosage of ibuprofen or paracetamol you have tried?
DR HASAN : Please enter the chat to proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
HI, I am sorry you were not able to enter the chat so i have shifted here. I need few details which i have asked for in the chat above. Please reply to those queries and i will post a helpful answer for you. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no numbness or tingling. My neck is a bit stiff. I am on recommended maximum of paracetamol (8 x 500mg day) and 8 x 200mg ibuprofen. Doesn't do much. When this happened before I tried one of those diclofenac plasters but I can't reach to stick it on
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Fiona i am so sorry to hear about your problem. This sounds like a pulled muscle. There are few things you can do on your own.
1. You can apply heating pad to the involved area. You can put the pad on bed and you can lay down to make that area come in contact with the pad.
2. OTC tab aleve twice daily is much stronger than paracetamol and ibuprofen and i usually advise my patients to try that.
3. You can apply OTC bengay cream to the adjacent area where you can reach and it will get absorbed and will help the pulled muscle area also.

I have few other suggestions for you, you should consider visiting doctor whenever possible as you may need physical therapy to get rid of this pain but till then my suggestions will help you. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I will try with a hot water bottle. I think I have some naproxen so will substitute those and will get an appointment for some physio.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. Yes naproxen is aleve actually. I wish you all the best for your treatment. Please feel free to ask anything, anytime because i will be glad to assist you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor