Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

In the past year, now and again, I am getting what I believe

In the past year, now and again, I am getting what I believe are occular migraines. I saw the eye doctor for it about a year ago. She said it was normal and made some suggestions. The most recent one was in April. This morning, I woke up late, had tired, goopy eyes from my allergies, and was rubbing them pretty intensely. I then experienced (in both eyes) the zig zag lines that precede the headache. I quickly took excedrin and it (the zigzags) subsided within a half hour. I mentioned it to my PCP as well this past April and she didn't seem concerned. I do get floaters during the day, usually when driving in the sunlight, and the dr said it's age related (I'm 41). Is this stress related? I am under a great deal of stress at work. And can i do anything about it? It just seems like my eyes are so tired...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Associated blurred vision?

Nausea,vomiting?

Dizziness?

Clogged ears?

Lack of sleep?

Do you ever find any relation of migraine with a particular food,product?

Alcohol and smoking?

Are you taking any medicines?

Have you monitored your blood pressure so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Associated blurred vision? Only without my glasses

Nausea,vomiting? No

Dizziness? No

Clogged ears? No

Lack of sleep?Sometimes

Do you ever find any relation of migraine with a particular food,product? Not as of yet

Alcohol and smoking? None

Are you taking any medicines? Omeprazole 20 mg(GERD)Prozac 20 mg(GAD)Pravastatin 40 mg (cholesterol)Zyrtec as needed for allergies OTC eye drops for allergy eyes Vitamin supplements

Have you monitored your blood pressure so far? Absolutely normal

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

I understand your concern.

You are correct that ocular migraines have typical zig-zag pattern lights. They typically last 15-20 minutes however. They have a typical pattern of enlargement and then fade away.

Ocular migraines are diagnosed when there are no other identifiable causes.
If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment and consult your Eye specialist.

Also some triggering factors can be associated with the ocular headache like Caffeine
Hormonal imbalance, Insufficient sleep,Stress and anxiety,Strong smell,foods like chocolate, cheese and food enhancer like mono-sodium glutamate (MGM).

A massage or heat applied to the back of the upper neck can be effective .
Try OTC Migraine Ice, TheraPatch Headache Cool Gel that cools the skin for up to 4 hours and can be placed on the forehead, temple, or back of the neck.

You may need MRI or CT scan of head to rule out other causes of headache if your symptoms 'll not relieved

I advice you to see neurologist for the physical examination for further management.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Now I am worried. Are you suggesting it can be a tumor or something horrible like that ?
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Usually the chances of tumor are less however MRI /CT scan head should be advised as you have recurrent episodes.

Even your symptoms are not so improving,a consultation of neurologist should be considered for proper treatment of migraine.

.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM