Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My big toe has been infected so I have been pouring stuff under

Customer Question

My big toe has been infected so I have been pouring stuff under the nail for fungus. The nail has started to pull away and is very thick. I started clipping it and it is soft and thick and comes off easily. I am down to the bottom but am afraid to take it all off. There is one spot in the middle of where the nail would be that is red and wants to ooze, but I have left it alone. Should I go on an emergency basis to a foot doctor as soon as the time comes or an Urgent Care. Do you think they will remove the rest of the nail? Then what?
Terrible thing is my daughter is getting married this Friday and my shoes are sandals with a small heel. Toes were to be painted color of my dress. What should I do first to not cause further damage or infection? I have been cleaning it often with peroxide.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.

Customer: Hello,
Customer: Welcome to Just Answer.
Customer: I would advise not to take out further.
Customer: There can be bleeding from it & you may not be able to control it.
Customer: If you can contact a foot doctor you can show it.
Customer: Otherwise, I would suggest to go to an urgent care.
Customer: You can apply antibacterial cream like neosporin.
Customer: Doctor can decide after examination how much of the nail can be saved.
Customer: You may be having difficulty in entering chat.
Customer: I am changing to question & answer format.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.
I typed my answer above.If you have difficulty in seeing it please let me know.I shall send it again.If you any query, please feel free to ask.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.
You are right that those are the steps to follow now.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.
I noticed you put a poor service rating.

Do you need any more clarification?

I want you to be satisfied.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please ask if you need any clarification.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 3 years ago.
Hello JA customer. I have been following your question and see that you have been quite dissatisfied with the previous expert and rated a "poor service".

I am DR. Bora and would like to help you before you are at your wits end!

Considering your emergency (daughter's wedding!), I would strongly suggest you to go to the ER and remove the infectd nail right away instead of waiting for the foot doctor's apointment.

Moreover, the gold standard of treating "infected" fungal nail (as in your case) is to get the nail removed so that the topical medicine that you would apply would reach the nail bed better and could also get rid of the infection as much as possible within minimal time.

But to be honest, nail fungal infections can be pretty fastidious and you could take at least 4 to 6 months till you see a completely fungus free nail. But do not lose heart, go to the ER and get it removed completely and apply antifungal medicines (OTC or prescription). You may even be prescribed oral anti fungal medicines together with the topical creams for best results.

Commonly used OTC creams are: Tinactin, Lotrimin.

In the realm of alternative medicine, Tea Tree Oil, has been shown to have some positive effect on nail fungus. As it is a naturally occurring fungicide and insect repellant, applying a 100% concentration of the oil to the infected area has been reported to be able to cure the nail fungus, in some studies.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Hello, how have you been doing?

I have already answered your question. If you need any more assistance, do let me know.

Thanks,
Dr. Bora.