Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

41 year-old male HIV+ in hospital after drug overdose (150-200

41 year-old male HIV+ in hospital after drug overdose (150-200 300mg tablets of Seroquel). Experienced status epilepticus, now stable, showing semi-purposeful movements. On mechanical ventilater, subsequently contracted pneumonia. What are the chances of death from getting pneumonia in an intensive care setting? Prior to overdose, otherwise very healthy, on medication for HIV, undetectable viral load. Physically fit. Blood pressure normal-slightly low (110/59) pulse 75.

Dr Brims : Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek
Dr Brims : I'm sorry to hear about this
Customer: thank you
Dr Brims : What is his CD4 count?
Customer: not sure but he gets checked every month and is on several antiretroviral meds
Customer: so he's doing everything he should to take care of it and monitor his status
Dr Brims : How long has he been in the ICU?
Customer: Since Friday 6:30pm
Customer: he experienced a series of severe seizures 12 hours post-admission and has been in a coma but is getting progressively more responsive exhibiting increased semi-purposeful movements
Customer: pupils responsive to light
Dr Brims : I see, then there are very good chances he will recover
Customer: I'm very worried about the pneumonia though because they said it's a leading cause of death in the intensive care unit
Dr Brims : Did they say what type of pneumonia?
Customer: no but they have him on antibiotics
Customer: and are treating it aggressively. they said he is coughing a lot which is good and they may be able to take him off the ventilator in another 24 hours or so
Dr Brims : Okay, the possibility of recovery depends on the type of pneumonia and his CD4 count
Customer: is it possible his HIV status could adversely impact his recovery chances, even if he is on medication for it?
Dr Brims : Yes, if his CD4 count is low it could affect his recovery
Customer: ok, thank you for answering my questions
Dr Brims : You're very welcome