Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have a small, hard, bump inside a fold of my anal sphincter.

I have a small, hard, bump inside a fold of my anal sphincter. It is not up inside, but just in a fold in between. It causes a lot of itching.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims : Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek
Dr Brims : When did this start?
Customer: A couple months or so ago. I was convinced it was a scab. But when it didn't go away and kept itching down there, it became really bothersome.
Dr Brims : Is it painful?
Customer: No. It just causes itching. I noticed it one day when I wiped.
Dr Brims : Is it red?
Customer: I'm not sure. I can't see it. I would assume so. But mostly because I tried to scratch it off thinking it was a scab. I started having really bad itching down there quite a while ago. Months even. I'm not sure what caused that. But wondered if all the extra wiping and scratching caused it.
Customer: I just want to make sure it isn't cancerous. Since I can't see it and I don't have insurance, going in to have a doctor look at it just to tell me it's a skin tag or something seems not worth it. So I thought I'd try this.
Dr Brims : I see, the fact that is itching is likely due to irritation from a skin tag or anal laceration
Customer: Okay. That's what I was wondering. I've had issues with hemorrhoids since the birth of my son 10 years ago. But they never bothered me like this does. I've tried wipes with witch hazel, hemorrhoid creams, you name it. Doesn't stop the itching. Then there was this bump. I thought maybe that was causing the itching.
Customer: What signs would I need to worry about, as in if it were a polyp or cancerous?
Dr Brims : If it continues to grow then you should have it examined, if it obstructs bowel movements then you should have it examined
Customer: Okay. It does not do that. It feels about the size of the tip of a pencil lead. I just want to avoid going to the doctor's until I am able to get health insurance.
Dr Brims : I understand
Customer: Is there anything you would recommend to use that would stop the itching? The itch sensation seems to move around from my anus to the spot just above it in the beginning of the crack.
Customer: And sometimes in between my anus and my vagina.
Dr Brims : Cortisone cream may help the itching, that would likely be the best option
Customer: Okay. I will try it. I just want it to go away. I never had to pay attention to anything down there this much before. It seems weird. And annoying.
Dr Brims : I'm sure it is, hopefully it will subside soon
Customer: I certainly hope so. I've been dealing with this for months. It can get embarrassing.
Customer: So the only time I really need to worry is if it grows? Will it feel a certain way too?
Dr Brims : No, there is no specific way it will feel , but if it has a bad odor, then you should have it examined
Customer: Okay. No bad odor. I checked that thinking it might be a yeast infection at first when the itching got really bad.
Dr Brims : ok
Customer: Well, thank you for all of your help. I feel better now.
Dr Brims : You're quite welcome
Dr Brims : If you have any questions in the future you may request me by starting them with "Dr Brims" and will answer
Customer: Okay. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: :)
Dr Brims : You're welcome
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience