A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

This may be a weird question.... but my vagina seems to be

This may be a weird question.... but my vagina seems to be a lot thicker than a typical person. I am overweight by atleast 50 pounds. It just seems when I wear tighter clothing or a bathing suit, you can tell that i have extra fat down there. Is this normal for someone who is overweight. I just really notice it when I look at myself in the mirror. It is not swollen, is it just extra fat?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Do you mean that the external genitalia seem large? The labia of someone who is overweight will often be larger or "puffier" than someone who is smaller. It's a good place for fat to accumulate and no way to excercise that particular area.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the labia the outside? its the fat area i assume... thats the area that is rather large, and puffy.... nothing to worry about? normal for those who are overweight to pack in my weight down there?

Yes, the labia are the lips leading to the vagina. There is a larger set - the labia majora - on the outside (and a much smaller set - the labia minora closer inside). They provide a fatty cushion to buffer during sexual intercourse. It is common for women who are overweight to have larger, fattier labia than women who are normal weight or underweight. It isn't anything to be concerned about.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes so I assume the labia majora is what I am talking about. It seems very cushioned to me. Nothing I should worry about? If I lost weight would it lose from that area as well? It does not mean it is swollen or infected? I have a history of ovarian cancer in my family so just a concern

No, it doesn't mean it is infected or swollen that there is any problem. If you lose weight, you will lose some there as well, just as you will lose weight all over your body. It's basically just fatty tissue, no way connected with ovarian cancer, thank goodness.

Warm regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so absolutely nothing for me to worry about? It is just extra fat in that area? and no concern to my health

Absolutely nothing to worry about., just a little extra fat deposit. Just being 50 pounds overweight is a concern for your health since overweight isn't healthy. But the fact that the labia are larger isn't a specific concern.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, that I know. Ive put myself on a diet. My mom recently passed of Ovarian Cancer, so ive gained alot of weight since then. Thank you for your help.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Please accept my condolences. You are quite welcome to my help. Let me know any time you have a Health question.

All the best,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist