Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

It started a year ago when I thought I had a bad toothache

It started a year ago when I thought I had a bad toothache and the dripping started. I had a cat scan and they said I could possibly have a ripped miniscus in my mouth, or possibly TMJ. No one has been able to help me. I have been taking a nasal spray called NASONEX but it hasn't worked. I have been to an ENT when this started and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. Now, a year later, it is so much worse and sometimes I feel like I am going to drown on the amount of the saliva that goes down the left back side of my throat. ,and then other times my throat is very dry that I need losanges. Help!!
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied,, I am really sorry to hear what you have being going through this time . These symptoms You have been experiencing could be caused by multiple conditions that should be investigated including :

1-Gastroesophageal Reflux ( in this condition , the stomach acid juices flow back into the esophagus through a weakened lower esophageal sphincter )

2- Allergic Processes

3-Having enlarged adenoids ,parathyroid or salivary glands

4-Autoimmune disorders ( like myasthenia , multiple sclerosis ), in these conditions the immune cells that normally defend your body against infections mistakenly attack your healthy body's cells .

5- Medications like clonazepam, levodopa ,pilocarpine and /or clozapine could also produce similar symptoms to the ones you have been experiencing.

6- Sjogren 's syndrome ( in this condition , the immune cells mistakenly attack the salivary or tear producing glands , at the beginning ,You could experience an hyperproduction period in which there is too much saliva followed by a dryness period ) .

7- Pancreatic or liver disease

With a complete physical examination and some tests done your doctor will be able to tell you what is producing these symptoms like : ESR , ANA tests , Rheumatoid Factor , a pH acidity test ,liver function tests , amylase ,lipase and an upper endoscopy could also be necessary .

The treatment will vary according to what specific condition is affecting you , like an ipratropium spray ,a clonidine patch and /or botulinum injections to decrease parotid gland excessive saliva production .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could I possibly have sinus problems even? Does this sound fatal at all?
Yes, sinusitis could also be involved ,however sinsusitis usually produce additional symptoms like face tenderness ,retroocular pain , headache ,breathing difficulty , nasal discharge among other symptoms . One problem people with chronic sinusitis could develop are adenoid gland enlargement which could increase saliva production and dripping problems ,so yes sinusitis is other possibility . However , there is no need to be concerned ,this condition can be treated and is not fatal.