Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I have been experiencing acid reflux and upper abdominal pain

I have been experiencing acid reflux and upper abdominal pain for several months now. I've been taking Prevacid and several other over the counter antacids, and nothing seems to be helping much. I went to a GI docotor, who did a complete blood panel, abdominal ultrasound, and tested me for H Pylori. Everything was fine, normal counts and no bacteria. I have a follow up with him scheduled in a few weeks, but I'm pretty worried this might be something sinister like stomach cancer, etc. I've had no weight loss, and my appetite is still pretty good, but the pain and heartburn is really annoying. Can you provide me any advice?

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Sounds like you may have a possible hiatal hernia or just some pretty severe acid reflux. Most times, our diet is a role player in how bad our acid reflux is. If you already have acid reflux but your diet is not acid reflux friendly, that could be an issue. (avoid fatty foods, acidic foods, dairy, caffeine, carbonated beverages....you know the routine). If after all things you have tried have failed, you may need a stronger medication like Aciphex or Protonix - and then your Dr might also recommend an upper endoscopy so they can REALLY see what is going on. Stomach cancer would be a very remote possibility. I would vote for either a hiatal hernia or just some really bad acid reflux due to your lower esophageal sphincter. There are some great medications out as well as some outpatient procedures to help with the reflux so that you won't even need medication any longer. Reply back if I can help further.