Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Hi, Three weeks ago I fell down the stairs at home and landed

Three weeks ago I fell down the stairs at home and landed on my coccyx (and then did the exact same thing two days later). I knew I'd at at least bruised it (I've done this before a year ago) and I also knew that from a medical point of view there was nothing that could be done aside from take painkillers if the pain got quite bad. Last time I did this it stopped hurting within about 5 weeks. This time I can feel a kind of crunching sensation in my coccyx if I sit up or shift in my seat. Am I being daft to not go to the doctor/hospital or shall I just carry on as I am with my painkillers?

What's your age and gender?

Do you have sharp or dull pain?

Associated swelling?

Associated lower leg pain?

Numbness and tingling sensation in leg?

Are you overweight?

History of Arthritis,etc?

Which painkiller are you taking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm 26 and female. The pain is a constant dull ache which kind of spasms when I stand up or sit down. The dull pain is when I'm standing. It's not swollen or bruised although it was for a few days after I did it. There's no lower leg pain or numbness or tingling. I'm not overweight and I don't have a history or arthritis. I do have type 1 diabetes though. The painkiller I'm taking is ibuprofen when it gets particularly painful, maybe 2 every couple of days as the spasms of pain are only short lived.

If you need to know anything else please let me know.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe,most likely possible cause may include Coccydynia(inflammation around tail bone).

Main line of treatment may include NSAIDS(Motrin),use of a therapeutic sitting cushion to take the pressure off of the tailbone when sitting.

Steroid injections can be advised in case of chronic cases.

You should also take metamucil and fibre rich diet.

As you have repetitive history of injury at same position so it's good to undergo a clinical examination by an Orthopedist to rule out associated malignment which can cause crunching sensation.

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses with a heating pad on affected area.

Also physical therapy can be helpful.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.