Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Protonix question. Hi Doctor. After yesterdays 9 hour stay

Protonix question. Hi Doctor. After yesterday's 9 hour stay at the ER, my sleep-wake schedule has changed. After being up for 24 hours we came home and had a bite to eat and went to bed about an hour later. Being self employed, I have any schedule I want which is nice. We are just getting up now and will adjust back to getting up around 11:00am little by little probably by napping and having a little longer days. The question I have is when do I take my Protonix? Do I take it now with 'breakfast' or take it at 11:00 am, which is the time I usually take it? This would mean it would change about an hour a day as we change or stay constant. I don't know if Protonix can be taken 'mid-day'. If I take it at 11:00 am then it would stay constant with one day missed. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have been put 'on my team' as my Doctor of choice.

I really appreciate being on your team, thanks for that.

The advise for Protonix is firstly to take it on empty stomach. Only after that, to try and take it at the same time every day.

When the two clash, priority is to take it on empty stomach. Protonix is acid labile, and taking it on empty stomach minimizes stomach transit time, and thus increases bioavailibility.

So take it about half an hour before breakfast on empty stomach, even though it means that the time you take it will vary a bit depending on your work schedule.

Besides of course, there is the sheer inconvenience of having to break your sleep simply to take the tablet.

Hope this shows you the way forward.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Doctor. I have already taken a few bites of my breakfast. It is ok to take it now? I was once told that Protonix could be taken with or without food but I usually strive to take it 30 minutes before breakfast. But for today, take it with breakfast? Thanks.
Yes, thats quite ok. Although its ideal if you take it on empty stomach, its still good if you take it at any time.

Warm regards.