Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Rectal Bleeding and Pain

My doctor did a rectal exam a couple of months ago and prescribed Procto-foam. I have used 3 refills. Should I call my Dr back or should I go to the ER now? It burns a lot, and I have more blood each time I wipe and it also is dripping in the stool. It feels like razor blades passing. I also have a lot of gas all the time and it smells horrible.

I have fibromyalgia, and Psoriatic arthritis. I do take prescriptions. Enbrel, Synthroid, Plaquenil, Vit D, Potassium, Celexa, Fish Oil, Lipitor, and Gabapentin.
Greetings.

A prolonged bleeding from rectum and your other symptoms like pain; needs investigations and a physical examination by either a gastroenterologist or a surgeon. The common causes can be;

1) Hemorrhoids or piles (inflamed)

2) Anal fissure

3) Polyp rectum

4) Diverticulitis

5) Inflammatory bowel disease like crohn's disease

6) Growth in rectum or colon

Investigations needed to establish the cause are;

1) Proctoscopy

2) Colonoscopy

3) Barium enema

Read this resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rectal-bleeding/DG00015

If you can seek an appointment with a gastroenterologist in couple of days; you may wait. Otherwise go to ER for an evaluation. With a history of psoriatic arthritis, ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, apart from inflamed piles are the most likely diagnosis in your case.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a colonoscopy less than a year ago and nothing was found. Is this a condition that can come on suddenly?

Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis can develop in 3-4 months or occasionally in lesser time. A rare adverse effect of medications too can be responsible for your symptoms. In any case; your symptoms do warrant a colonoscopy again.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun