DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
24257177

Im looking for a nutritionist or dermatologist who has substanti

I'm looking for a nutritionist or dermatologist who has substantial knowledge with probiotics in relationship to autoimmune diseases.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
That is not dermatology, or even nutrition but more a functiona medicine qeustions.

I am trained in functional medicine.

What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 35 years of one single incident of alopecia areata, I've had repeated but controlled incidences from 53-current 60 years old. As in any autoimmune, it's the same old answer, unknown unknown. I had a total hysterectomy back when I ws 42, but it seems like the return of the alopecia incidents started back when I was supposedly going through the final body changes. BUT, at the same time, I've had some variuos infections, now all cleared up, but with a lot of work on various doctors part. It's as if my immune system is compromised big time. My dermatologist just attribute its all to stress (albeit, a rough decade), but, it seems like this probiotic craze may have some merit as far as immune systems and balance. I'm not a hypochondriac, in fact, I avoid doctors, but I think something is up. I've also started to get sun hives, and that is not something that has ever happened to me before either. If it means anything, I'm a big walker and biker, I'm in good physical fitness, but I will get bloated easily. I really don't know if this is something that you have any thoughts on, but, it's worth a shot. Incidentally, I've had lots of blood test and such and blood wise, I'm in very good shape. be
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
What is your TSH value
This is part of the thyroid studies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thyroid is good, THS. I don't remember if my dermatologist or my gynecologist has the actual test results for that exact number, but both have ruled out thyroid or any diabetic possibility as well. I'll take a look through my paperwork to see if I can come up with the actual number.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
No you need to check the exact value, as guidelines have changes and unfortunately most docs are not updated on this.
Normal to them can mean up to 5 on TSH
While over 2.5 is probably hypothyroid, which can cause hair loss.
That needs to be checked.

Alopecia arreta might indeed be autoimmune and following a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, anti-autoimmune diet would be a first step in addressing this functionally.

Probiotics are fine but only address bowel flora. If there are other problems with the bowel, such as overgrowth, more extensive treatment is needed.

But, you can add probiotics on your own safely and see, along with the diet I mention, which will establish the correct pre-biotic stimulation.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

This of course is only the beginning of a full functional medicine approach, but you would need a doctor to take the correct labs, and take this approach.

You can find them here.

www.functionalmedicine.org

See the find a practitioner link, upper right.

Find an MD or DO, preferably family practice, or internal medicine.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have the Furhman diet, and I try to follow, but realistically only about 60%. So, you recommend just a stricter diet control, you don't believe in the say, TruBiotics supplement to help me along. I substitute rice crackers for other snack crackers, and I still eat Special K as a rice product, but I can't even do that, the Special K, correct. Th Furhman diet is so vegan like, it's a tough one.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
You need to do both.
But the diet should be strict for 8 weeks, then you can lighten up.

It is impossible to tell you what else you should do without extensive exam and lab analysis....so that is why the referral to a practitioner that hopefully you can see in person.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to sign off too, I have a meeting I'm prepping for, but, just so I am clear. (I will see another doctor in person), but, TruBiotics is a positive thing to take, even with the autoimmune conditions? It won't really confuse my off-whack immune system?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Yes is is positive
It should help if anything.
please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.