A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Help needed now with OCD

Customer Question

I have OCD very bad and today I kept picking up and setting down three table knives in a row. When I lower the knife to the table and set it down with my right hand I tend to feel that it affects the heart when it touches the countertop but is this just anxiety and can do no harm?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Schuyler here. You know the answer to that one. There is no obsessive action you can do that is going to injure your heart. The heart is a very strong muscle that you can't harm by OCD thoughts. It is just the obsessive thinking, not anything that can harm you physically.

Warm regards,

Schuyler

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention when I was walking out of show I was paying attention to exit signs above the doors. Sorry to ask this but if you walk past them while continuing looking at them then it goes out of view that has no affect on the heart as well because heart and visual functions separate? I just had an anxiety feeling when I passed the exit sign in particular that way so nothing to worry about?

There is nothing to worry about. There is no movement you can make that is going to hurt your heart. It is just irrational thinking caused by the OCD/anxiety.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today at work I kept staring at a piece of scotch tape holding a sign on the window on the right middle side. I kept trying to break my concentration of this particular piece of tape but kept looking at it throughout the afternoon. I tried distracting myself from it but it kept passing in my vision. I finally looked at it once more before I turned and exited the room. Again vision and the heart functions are completely separate and there is no harm to my heart for pulling myself away from looking at this piece of tape that I kept fixating from my OCD?

Of course there isn't any harm done. There is no movement you can make that will hurt your heart. This is all the irrational thinking of OCD.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am really having a hard time dealing with the anxiety the last few days. If I break away staring at a water cooler for example in my work station then walk away that is totally safe and has no effect on the heart since vision and heart functions are separate?

Hi there,

Nope, it has no effect on your heart whatsoever. It is just the anxiety causing those irrational thoughts.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been having very bad anxiety last few days. Is the heart safe if you walk out of a room after looking at either a clock or the brand name on the tv by hyperfocusing on them? My heart feels like it races when that happens that does not mean I am having heart trouble and is vision still separate from heart functions in these cases as well?

Your heart is perfectly safe no matter what you do. Your heart races because you have anxiety, not because of anything you look at or focus on. Heart function is completely separate from vision. The heart is the strongest muscle in the body.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much even if I get nervous from feeling my heart beat and take a deep breath I cannot interfere with the hearts beating function even though it may be racing as well?

That's correct. The heart racing is the result of the anxiety, not from whatever you are looking at. Taking a slow, deep breath is one way to try to calm your anxiety. Try breathing in very slowly through your nose and exhaling slowly through your mouth. You'll be fine. Just try to relax and stop worrying.

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last night I was watching an award show on tv and I focused on an actress belt then the picture shifted to another actor and I felt like I was anxious in my chest when the picture changed over from when i was looking at the belt. Was this just a nervous impulse from anxiety and no effect on the heart?

It was just your anxiety and signifies nothing beyond that. You can't look at anything and harm your heart.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

today my psychiatrist switched me over to Paxil and took me off Remeron and increased Abilify to 10. I met my parents for lunch however I had anxiety about going in to eat with them because of the crowds. My ocd today involved letting go of a credit card or car keys once they are in my pocket. My OCD kept saying that this will somehow affect the heart bad if I let go of them in my pocket. After I ate I became sluggish and feel like I am going to sleep with no energy. Did the anxiety make me feel like this or is something else physically going on with me? I am home now and feel like I am not all here like I am going to fall asleep or pass out? My heart was racing a bit as I walked up the stairs to my condo. I just do not feel right and am not sure what to do?

The side effects are probably due to the anxiety, excitement of the psychiatrist visit followed by lunch with your parents, etc. A good night's sleep will probably make you feel better. I hope the Paxil will work better for you than the Remeron. Remember that your heart is perfectly safe no matter what your OCD tells you

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My ocd is causing me to pick up and set down a fork in a bowl repeatedly this has no effect on the heart either?

No effect whatsoever. Your heart is fine

Register Here

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I break the habit of staring at this word pantheon on the computer screen? and by doing so is it safe?

It is safe either to stare at it or not to stare at it. Breaking any habit is difficult, but it can be done with perseverance. Just tell yourself that it just a waste of your energy staring at it.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I was shopping at department store I kept looking at the sign that said Men's Flip-flops. For some reason the hyphen keeps me focusing on the words. I tried not to make it obvious and remained calm and looked forward and walked away. There were other signs that said flip-flops as well but I continued to walk away. Again I should not be worried that there is any connection to the heart and this is strictly vision function?

No, it has no connection with the heart at all. It is just a symptom of OCD. Right now your OCD seems to take the form of staring at various things and then worrying that the act of staring will somehow damage your heart, which, of course, is impossible.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Today I had anxiety over a paper file folder filled with invoices. I kept lifting it up gently and setting it down gently with both hands then touching each end of the bottom of the file folder with both hands repeatedly. I tried using diversion and walking away but I kept going back and doing this periodically throughout the day. The touching and not touching of this folder and lifting and setting has no effect on the heart and was this just ocd and would it be best to leave the folder alone and not pick it up anymore? No harm done even though thoughts tell me falsely that if I do not pick up the folder it will effect the body?

There is no harm done to your heart by the OCD behaviors. It really makes no difference to your physical health whether you leave the folder alone, or continue to pick it up, since neither has any effect whatsoever on your heart.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~