jbmd
jbmd, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience. Extensive medical and traumatic neurology experience.

My daughter had ear surgery 7 years ago for a rebuilt ear drum

My daughter had ear surgery 7 years ago for a rebuilt ear drum and infected bone cleaned out behind the ear-- the prostesis was not removed from the ear canal. It resulted in bascically a hole in the ear canal that did not heal. It was not the doctor's fault. Now she has had recurrent ear infections and needs the surgery. She lives in Denver. We live in DFW. My question to you is who should do the surgery? How do I find the best doctor that specializes in this sort of thing. We have the means to get her to the best doctor for this kind of surgery, but how to find him/her? She needs to have the drum, stirrup and canal rebuilt. she is 23.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
The type of doctor would be an ENT
Who is recommending the surgery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An otolaryngologist . I know we need reconstructive surgery for the drum, stirrup, and ear canal. I'm trying to find the best of the best to do this surgery. There's got to be some University or group who are making important strides in that kind of surgery. That's the group I want.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
I have reviewed your questions in fact and I am going to opt out for another expert to help you.

Don't post or it will just come back to me, so hang on.
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
Hi--I always recommend the doctors at UCSF Medical Center as I live in the Bay Area and they were some of the pioneers to use fibroblast growth factor to repair chronic ruptured eardrums--causing the body to do the repair without a patch, but for your convenience, here is a list of the top otolaryngologists in the US:

http://health.usnews.com/top-doctors/directory/best-ent-otolaryngologists

Any would be a good start and any individual recommendation would be subjective by the recommending doctor.

All best and write back if you have another question about this.
jbmd, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience. Extensive medical and traumatic neurology experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I did some reading on the subject and was wondering if there is a term for when the canal has disappeared because the prosthesis was not removed soon enough after the android surgery? I had said stirrup but it's the bone that vibrates against the ear drum...
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I don't know of a specific term for this. Do you mean adenoid surgery? What specific type of prosthesis did she have? Was it for ossicular reconstruction? There are stapes prostheses, incus interposition grafts, Applebaum prostheses, and others.

This is to sub-specialized for my expertise. I apologize but you'd have to ask one of the experts you contact about that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which brings me to this very specialized kind of doctor, is there a term for them besides ear surgeon. The US News listings are broad and I was hoping to narrow it down further with something besides "ear surgeon. "

The mastoid surgery, to get rid of the infected bone, started the problem because the prosthesis was left in the canal. When it fell out, the canal was left jagged and open.

Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
What I would do is call the surgeon nearest to you and ask about the best person in the area to repair this problem. There are multiple layers of subspecialist. What I would do for a patient was to call and discuss with my favorite specialist--ethical ones will answer that question and not do what they cannot.ADDENDUM: I'm going to call in the Denver area where your daughter lives so she can have follow up and see what the recommendations are. Please wait for that as I am contacting Herman Jenkins MD at the University of Colorado http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Otolaryngology/faculty/Pages/jenkinsh.aspx . He's the chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology at Colorado's School of Medicine Anschutz Campus in Aurora. He would certainly refer your daughter to the doctor in his department with the most experience at mastoid and ear canal surgery. IF you wish to proceed more quickly on your own, please go to the website and look at the areas of specialization of each of the doctors in the department.
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jenkins just sent me an email back and said that he or Dr. Steve Cass would be glad to see your daughter. Please make arrangements--they are very good. And obviously Dr. Jenkins is very responsive and approachable! Please reply to this to let me know how the call and the visit go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you we will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome
jbmd, Doctor (MD)