Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My twenty-seven daughter has been unable to keep anything in

My twenty-seven daughter has been unable to keep anything in her body since Friday night because of diarrhea. She says that the diarrhea is now a greenish color. She has a headache, too. She also feels achy but is not sure if it is from working. Going to the doctor would be great, but she doesn't have insurance. What should she do?
Is she vomiting?

Has she been drinking plenty of fluids?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is not vomiting. I have told her to keep hydrated as much as she can. She just sent me a text and said that she slowly ate a cup of applesauce, a piece of toast, and drank a bottle of water/pedialyte in an hour-and-a-half but then she used the bathroom again...gone.
I'm glad to hear that she is not vomiting, since the combination of vomiting and diarrhea can lead to severe dehydration very quickly.

It sounds like she is doing all that she can do without seeing a physician. She could try an over-the-counter medication such as Imodium.

Many physicians would argue that as long as she is able to keep down fluids, she may be able to treat herself at home. The fact that this has persisted (apparently without any significant improvement) suggests that a visit to her physician, an urgent care clinic or the emergency room may be appropriate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter ended up going to a doctor on Monday. She was diagnosed with e coli.

Thank you very much for the follow up information. I trust she is feeling better. It is always very helpful to know the results of these cases.

Please let me know if I can ever help you in the future. You can put "For FamilyPhysician" in the first line of any question to alert me to your request. Have a nice weekend.