Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a question lately I have been having a chest pain when

I have a question lately I have been having a chest pain when I stretch arms out and am wondering is that a bad thing???

Dr. P. Jyoti : I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello would you like to chat on this?
Customer: Yes
Dr. P. Jyoti : does the pain occur at other times or only when you stretch your arms?
Customer: When I stretch and or pop chest out
Dr. P. Jyoti : where exactly is the pain? on the right or left side, or in the middle?
Customer: You know like when you straighten your posture like sit up back straight
Dr. P. Jyoti : ok..where exactly is the pain? on the right or left side, or in the middle?
Customer: Like the left
Dr. P. Jyoti : well, there are a number of conditions that this could be
Dr. P. Jyoti : but the most likely is muscle pain
Dr. P. Jyoti : the fact that it occurs only with movement suggests strongly that it is muscle pain only
Dr. P. Jyoti : other possibilities are acid reflux, gastritis, pleuritis, costochondritis
Dr. P. Jyoti : cardiac pain is also a possibility though unlikely with only this symptom
Dr. P. Jyoti : for now, use warm compresses over the site of the pain
Dr. P. Jyoti : also gentle stretching exercises of the arms twice daily
Customer: By pectoral is major sternocostal part
Dr. P. Jyoti : be careful of youur posture, specially when sitting in front of the computer, while sleeping, etc
Dr. P. Jyoti : yes that makes it more likely to be a muscle pain
Dr. P. Jyoti : muscle pain will be relieved with these steps only
Dr. P. Jyoti : at the same time, make an appointment to see your doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : all chest pain should be seen to by a doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : if there is any increase of symptoms, then go to the ER
Dr. P. Jyoti : but of course this is unlikely
Dr. P. Jyoti : these steps - warm compresses and gentle stretching exercises will give you relief
Dr. P. Jyoti : but do also see your doctor for this
Dr. P. Jyoti : Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti : any further questions?
Customer: What kind of stretching.
Dr. P. Jyoti : gentle stretching of the arms - stretch them out horizontally, then upwards, then backwards, but very gently, slowly. Do all three positions thrice at one time. Repeat twice daily.
Dr. P. Jyoti : any further questions?