Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My father is 86 years old. He was diagnosed withCustomer

My father is 86 years old. He was diagnosed withCustomera few months ago. Since then has been treated with dexametazone and metilprednizolon. His immune system has lowered dramatically. How can we have his immune system and general well-being improved?

Dr. P. Jyoti : I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello would you like to chat on this?
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello has he done any blood tests recently? why do you feel his immunity is low?
Customer: Yes, he had blood tests. he feels very fragile, and can barely move whereas before taking this medication he moved freely by himself and was very active, now he is lying all the time, feels very tired
Dr. P. Jyoti : have you discussed this with his doctor? that he is feeling low?
Customer: yes, but the doctor says it is of old age
Dr. P. Jyoti : i would not agree without further testing
Dr. P. Jyoti : he is on two steroids
Customer: yes
Dr. P. Jyoti : sudden detoriation of health while being on steroids could be linked to this
Dr. P. Jyoti : one cause of such detoriation on steroids may be electrolyte abnormalities which can occur with steroids
Dr. P. Jyoti : you must discuss with the doctor about testing for electrolytes like sodium and potassium and also calcium levels
Dr. P. Jyoti : sugar level must also be tested
Dr. P. Jyoti : these tests will detect whether there is any abnormality due to the steroids
Dr. P. Jyoti : besides discussing with the doctor, the main thing that you can do from your side is..
Dr. P. Jyoti : good diet and vitamin supplements
Dr. P. Jyoti : a good healthy diet is essential
Dr. P. Jyoti : lots of fruits and vegetables, and also meats
Dr. P. Jyoti : fish is very important for him - it is both easily digested and contains a lot of nutrients
Dr. P. Jyoti : also vitamin supplements including anti-oxidants
Dr. P. Jyoti : get a good brand from the pharmacist
Dr. P. Jyoti : but the first and most important thing is to discuss with the doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : ask specifically about electrolyte abnormality - this will force the doctor to give attention and you will get an informed discussion
Dr. P. Jyoti : this will help him to recover
Dr. P. Jyoti : Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti : any further questions?
Dr. P. Jyoti : hello do you have any further questions?
Customer: The doctor put my father on a diet which does not allow fish, only meat (lean), whole grain, vegetables and fruits (except oranges, lemon,berries). can I give him Transfer Factor Tri-factor formula? What other supplements would you recommend?
Dr. P. Jyoti : that is quite a healthy diet - in that case of course avoid fist and continue others according to the doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : yes, tri factor can be given but only after discussing with your doctor
Customer: What is electrolyte abnormality? Could you please explain to a non-medical person?
Dr. P. Jyoti : it is an alternative supplement and as such its contents are generally expected to be safe but not in all cases
Dr. P. Jyoti : so you must discuss with your doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : as supplements i would recommend
Dr. P. Jyoti : Omega 3 fatty acids
Dr. P. Jyoti : this is a good antioxidant and will help him
Dr. P. Jyoti : i would also recommend GInseng supplements
Dr. P. Jyoti : but first discuss this with your doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : you can take them only after discussing with your doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti : electrolytes are the elements like sodium, potassium, which are present in the blood
Dr. P. Jyoti : they need to be within the normal range otherwise persons experience several problems
Dr. P. Jyoti : steroids tend to upset the normal ranges of these electrolytes and hence it is essential to test them when a patient is on steroids, specially when he has become so weak
Dr. P. Jyoti : any further questions?
Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will certainly rate your services.
Dr. P. Jyoti : glad to help