Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Just got dive bombed by a big hawk. It drew blood, but not

Just got dive bombed by a big hawk. It drew blood, but not much on the crown of my head. Looks like about 1/2 long, not deep at all.I cleaned with alcohol and put antibiotic cream on it. I'm guessing I don't need a tetanus shot, but don't know for sure since I can't even remember when I've had one. My main concern is that it didn't like me walking near a big dead rat on our lane. My husband had put out some rat bait yesterday, and there is the remote possibility that the hawk had used its talons to work on that rat. (Hope not since it might hurt the hawk too.) Should that be a concern?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha : Hello,Welcome to Just Answer.
Dr. Saha : When did it occur?
Customer: About 20 min. ago.
Dr. Saha : Is there any bleeding now?
Customer: No
Dr. Saha : I would suggest to get a tetanus shot as you do not remember when you got it last.
Dr. Saha : Please clean the wound carefully.
Dr. Saha : Antibiotic cream is ok.
Customer: Okay, thank you. There isn't need to be concerned that there may be a trace of rat poison in it, is there? I used a cotton ball with alcohol to clean it.
Dr. Saha : It is unlikely to be concerning as you have cleaned it properly.
Customer: Okay, thank you. anything else I need to know? If not, I'll sign off.
Dr. Saha : You are always welcome.
Dr. Saha : If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Customer: Thanks and good day to you.
Dr. Saha : If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.Good luck.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, can the tetanus shot wait until tomorrow at my family doctor office in order to avoid a Sunday trip to the walk in clinic or emergency room?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
It is helpful to take it early.

Booster can be taken within 24 hours after the injury.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm unclear. Would this be considered a booster, or not? It probably isn't a big deal if I get it in the morning is it although I understand sooner is better than later.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
If you have had tetanus shots earlier, then it can be a booster.

It would not be big deal if you take it in the morning.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience