Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Three days ago I had the sudden onset of these symptoms: recurring

Three days ago I had the sudden onset of these symptoms: recurring bouts of stomach pain, general malaise, slight fever, headache, lack of energy. No vomiting or nausea. Intense sweating when I sleep. Stomach pain seems to be worse/exists when I haven't eaten for awhile. Normally I eat a lot and I don't really have the desire to do so now, and I think certain things (i.e., carbonated beverages) make it worse.

First night I barely slept; second night I could. On day 2, I took 2 cipro, spaced 12 hours apart, and the malaise and lack of energy improved just a bit today. Stomach pains have been intermittent throughout the 3 days. Only a bit of diarrhea today, on the third day.

Prefer not to go to the doctor unless s/he can actually do something to make me feel better (such as prescribe medication). If I have to just wait it out or can remedy here at home, all the better. If I do need to go to a doc, wouldn't be until 2 days from now, so any advice for what to do to feel better in the interim would be great.

I am sorry about your significant symptoms.

Do you have upper abdominal pain?
Any urinary burning, increased frequency, tenderness on abdomen?
Any significant past medical history or surgery?
Do you have bloating, gas, heartburn?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No upper abdominal pain, or lower - it's literally just in my stomach. I may be urinating a little more frequently, but I'm also trying to drink more fluids, so I think it's just that. No tenderness, medical history or surgery. No bloating, gas, heartburn. Thanks for your help.

An abdominal pain, slight diarrhea, sweating in night, slight fever, malaise, headache point to an infection, which is most likely to be virus. This is usually self limiting. Warning signs warranting to go to a doctor would be;

1) Moderate to severe stomach pain.
2) Fever more than 101.
3) Vigorous diarrhea or vomiting which prevents drinking fluids.
4) Any aggravation of the present symptoms.

The initial management is as following;

1) PeptoBismol

2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.